Make alumilite clear mire opaque?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

*sorry for the heading typo that I can't fix. ( more opaque)

Is there a particular additive I can put in alumilite clear to make it a bit more opaque? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micharms

I follow Curtis's instructions to mix the parts and then add any additives. Never had a problem with a cast. Doing it this way I can clearly see if the parts are thoroughly mixed or not.

Michael

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I highly recommend that you mix both parts, then add the additive. That way you can see exactly when you have it thoroughly mixed. If you add the additive first, you will not be able to tell when it is mixed. Mike, the owner of Alumilite agrees with this for our type of casting.

Dan Masshardt

I highly recommend that you mix both parts, then add the additive. That way you can see exactly when you have it thoroughly mixed. If you add the additive first, you will not be able to tell when it is mixed. Mike, the owner of Alumilite agrees with this for our type of casting.

Do you also recommend the white dye to make alumilite clear more opaque?

Thank you

sbell111

I prefer to do it the other way because it allows me to tweak the colors to my hearts content without worrying that I'm going to run out of time. Making sure it is completely mixed is no more onerous this way than the other, in my opinion. Someone could argue that it's actually easier to visualize the mixing process when he color has already been added to 'A', but I won't go that far as I use the 'count the strokes' method of mixing alumilite. My process works for me. Like everything in this hobby, there are almost as many ways to do the thing as their are people who do it. Whatever works...

Top Bottom