Major stress here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scoutharps

I made a gorgeous Lion's Blood pen (WC Classic American FP) for a good family friend for a graduation present. Had some problems, but it was great when I finished it. Went to assemble it last night, everything was perfect, and then...

the upper center band is too small to go on the tube! I had to glue the upper bushing for the clip/finial sp maybe this tube was just oversize, but more to the point, how do I fix it?

I really doubt that I'm going to be doing many WC kits in the future--I'm just having too many QC issues with them.

Can I take some needle nose pliers and sort of mush the tube in just a bit and super glue the centerband on?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
My suggestion would be to do just the opposite. Wrap some sandpaper around a dowel and ream the inside of the center band until it snugly fits over the tube. Apply a think coat of CA to the sanded part of the CB before assembly to avoid corrosion in the future.

philthephlier

Reaming

I like dcbluesmans' idea. If you have calipers or a micrometer measure the diameter of the tube the CB has to fit on. Then measure the inside diameter of the CB. If the difference is .005" or less this idea will work. If you have a round file of 1/4 or 5/16 you can quickly remove enough of the brass to make it fit. Just keep moving the file around the inside of the CB as you run the file in and out of the walls of the CB. Check every thirty seconds or so until you have a nice fit.

Fred

If you have a decent gun store nearby your area, you might be able to find a stainless steel bore brush that is slightly bigger than the brass tube inside diameter.

If you get a brush like this you then can apply it to the inside of the tube while the lathe is turning and take the diameter down gradually until the fit is of the correct size. Check often and be sure to quit immediately when you get it brushed down.

Sandpaper on a dowel rod will also work but I find it to remove brass quite rapidly ... too rapidly if I am not careful!

ALSO ... the bore brush will do wonders for removing all debris, i.e., glue, rough areas, etc., from the inside of the tube and the metal is highly polished and looks great. :wink:

Fred

OK, I just misread your post. However the suggestion to use the bore brush still may be useful to anyone that has a problem with any insertion issues. :)

its_virgil

Then you need to also stop making Berea kits since Woodcraft sells Berea kits..as does Rockler, Arizona Silhouete and Beartooth Woods just to name a few. I do hope you solved your delima. Have you complained to Woodcraft?
Do a good turn daily!
don
I really doubt that I'm going to be doing many WC kits in the future--I'm just having too many QC issues with them.

Top Bottom