Majestic Problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I recently turned a Majestic kit and am having an issue with it. The cap portion seems to be too short for the rollerball or the fountain nib? I have laid it next to my other Majestic kit that turned out fine, and cannot figure it out because it is exactly the same length. Both are the same length, but the problem kit will not go all the way down the screw threads to seat on the body. Anyone else with this problem or any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok, this is gonna sound stupid, but remember, I am NOT looking at the pen, you are!!

IS the nib assembly screwed completely into the pen body?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Also is the nib completely seated into the plastic feeder and both parts seated into the pen "Nib assembly body" (very similar question, but a little different).

When trying the rollerball, take out the refill. If it won't screw down tightly, is it the THREADS??

Last edited:
Might try swapping caps, just to see what's going on. If the cap from the previous, properly-functioning kit works on the new pen, then you more-than-likely need to check out a problem with the new cap. If it doesn't work properly, check for a problem with the new pen itself. Hope this is clear.....what you are aiming for is substitution of known good parts with suspected bad parts in order to isolate the problem.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the advice.

I took a Majestic rollerball that works fine, and replaced the cap with another Majestic kit. Here is where it gets interesting. The Majestic kit with the issue is one from Rockler. The true PSI kit HAS #$%@*& different threads for the cap screwing to the body (but the threads for the fountain pen/rollerball part are exactly the same)! I had no idea they were different kits, but now I do.

Having said that, I am wondering know if the "stud" in the top of the cap that keeps the nicely cast head piece on the cap on is longer inside the pen cap than it needs to be? It looks like a piece of brass that has been "riveted" into the top, and may be long (what do I know though....)

Ed, I do not know how "far" into the feeder piece this needs to be, I wish I was better with the whole fountain pen nib stuff. I will look at a few of the kits I have and try to make a judgement call, thanks for thinking of it. I tried the rollerball in it as well, and it was too short for that as well..........EEERRRRRRGGGGGG!

randyrls

Thanks for the advice.

I took a Majestic rollerball that works fine, and replaced the cap with another Majestic kit. Here is where it gets interesting. The Majestic kit with the issue is one from Rockler. The true PSI kit HAS #$%@*& different threads for the cap screwing to the body (but the threads for the fountain pen/rollerball part are exactly the same)! I had no idea they were different kits, but now I do.

I believe one of your kits is a Majestic JR, and the other is a straight Majestic. The difference is that a JR is postable with external threads on both ends of the lower tube. The straight Majestic doesn't have threads on the postable end.

S

spiritwoodturner

I've built half a dozen of these, haven't had a problem with them. Methinks Randy is right. You may have a different kit there.

Dale

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Nope, both are the full blooded versions of the Majestic. Neither of them is postable, and the really crazy part is they are both EXACTLY the same length and everything....still trouble shooting it though....

mick

Robert, I don't have a kit here in front of me but does the nib section unscrew from the coupling that presses into the pen body.....Like a Statesman or a Gent?
If so unscrew the section and then try to screw on the cap. If it still won't go all the way then your problem is in the threading. More than likely it'll be the threads inside the cap are buggered up.

Another thought just occured to me. Since it's a FP is the nib seated fully? and if it comes apart like the Statesman then the feed and nib unscrew from the Rhodium section or grip. These two things could lengthen the pen enough to keep it from going on all the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom