Majestic Junior Rollerball hole size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobGast

Hi everyone. I just started a Majestic rollerball. I guess it doesn't make much difference whether rollerball or fountain pen for me. The instructions that came with the pen call for 37/64" drill bit for the upper blank and a 15/32" hole size for the lower blank. I drilled both holes on the lathe and when I went to fit the tubes that were in the kit inside, both holes were too large. Not even by a little bit. I still used 5 minute epoxy to glue the tubes in and now I am waiting for it to cure. I am thinking that this will end up being a huge problem on a fairly expensive blank. Anyone else have this experience or know of a solution?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

It should have been a 10.5 mm and a 12.5 mm holes.

A Z bit is 10.49 mm and a 27/64 bit is 10.71 mm.

1/2" is 12.7mm and 31/64" is 12.3 mm.

87f900c5b90205a460180518a685b39a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

The Majestic full size uses the diameter in your post.
a591fa404c1d6f35dbb15d0c7d4da360.jpg

Maybe try removing the tubes and make the full sized kit. You could heat up a rod about the tube ID and use it to heat up the brass tubes. Get them above 250F and they should come out. Then redrill to the original hole size.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Instructions are great as a reference, but personally, I ALWAYS measure my tubes with a caliper, then look on a chart and use the next larger drill bit.

If it is oily wood, the bit should be bigger than I use with plastics.

When I did dozens every week, I had the right bits nearby. Now, I do a few a month, check, check and double check!!!

If you are younger or smarter than me, feel free to ignore this advice!!!

Ed

Top Bottom