Magnification in PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MobilMan

For instance...say you're making a bottle stopper & you drill a recess in the top using a Forstner bit, & drop an item [say a penny] in the recess, then pore in the PR. Will more depth of the PR increase the magnification? And which, if it matters for depth, would be best, a flat top or a domed top. Example- when turning a blank with snake skin. You will see the extra resin to a point then at some point, the skin looks like it's at least 1/2in in diameter. That's the effect I'm wondering about on the top on a stopper. Thanks for any feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Think "magnifying glass". Domed. The bigger the dome the more the magnification but the narrower the magnified area. Slight dome will magnify the entire top area "evenly" without causing blurring around the edges. Severe curved top will give massive magnification but only for the little spot in the middle.

GK

its_virgil

This picture may help. The two blanks were cut from the same skin next to each other. The unturned one is a 5/8 inch square blank and the turned one is about.450 at the center. You can see how much the blotches are magnified once the blank is round, and polished, of course. The blotches are essentially the same size, but the round surface really magnifies. I can't answer your question with definite answers, but I can say that I've made snake skin pens from most every kit and the diameter of the tube or the amount of resin thickness does not seem to matter but the larger the pen's tube, the larger the blotches look. Maybe I should cast some slimline blanks in several sizes and turn them and see what happens. I hope this helps answer your questions.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200861520438_snake%20comparison.jpg

Originally posted by MobilMan

For instance...say you're making a bottle stopper & you drill a recess in the top using a Forstner bit, & drop an item [say a penny] in the recess, then pore in the PR. Will more depth of the PR increase the magnification? And which, if it matters for depth, would be best, a flat top or a domed top. Example- when turning a blank with snake skin. You will see the extra resin to a point then at some point, the skin looks like it's at least 1/2in in diameter. That's the effect I'm wondering about on the top on a stopper. Thanks for any feedback.

ldb2000

HI
This is a 3/8" sterling silver disc engraved with my intials then cast in clear and turned dome shaped .
The dome shape magnifies the disc most in the center and fills the whole finial , I first tried a flat top finial but the disc did'nt fill the whole finial and was not magnified and I just did'nt like the look ,
Another thing about the dome shape is that you can see the disc from a much wider angle , with the flat top you had to look straight at the finial from the top to see the disc , with the dome you can see the disc even from the side (up to a point) .

kitless2.jpg

MobilMan

Don. That's what I was talking about. Just made a Euro w/satin nickel & snake today. Got the blanks over a year or so ago. This was my 5th snake pen. I've made one Slimline w/snake but it gets mighty close near the bushings. I just put a roll on the ends to keep from cutting into the skin. Oh yea. made one slimline/30/30 cal. Thanks for the info. I had taken a piece of junk wood & tried that penny thing the other day and was wondering if the dome was the best. The penny is about 3/16 below the top of the wood with a slight dome on the PR.

Top Bottom