magnetic brass tumbscrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm sure a lot of you have magnets somewhere on your lathe to hold pieces when they are not on the mandrel.
I got tired of searching for the brass thumb screw in the pile of shavings.
I glued one of the steel washers to it.
Now I know where both of them are.
BTW I keep my magnets on the tailstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

How many of you HAVE magnets attached to your lathes? I've never thought of this before as I keep extra parts on a workbench behind me as I work. Where do you have them so they don't interfere with the working of the lathe. I'm sure the magnetic field isn't very strong so shouldn't bother moving parts or the motor.

I am designing a stand for my lathe with storage for tools and parts to get my JET mini off the old dresser I'm currently using. What are your thoughts about adding a magnet to that?

NCTurner

I use lots of magnets around my lathe. I have one on my gooseneck light, to hold my allen wrenches. I have three on the left hand side (my lathe stand is metal), to hold my knockout bars and shaft wrench, and I have three on the back 'wall' of the stand to hold my three buffing wheels. These are all rare earth magnets (except for the one on the gooseneck.) I think I have magnets on all of my power tools to hold misc. parts (i.e. my drill chuck key for my drill press.)

Rudy Vey

Same here, use a lot of magnets to hold stuff on my lathes (like my dust collector remote and also the hose for dust collection).
Good rare earth magnets for reasonable price can be had from Lee Valleys in Canada,.

Rudy

G

I bought my first RE magnets at Klingspor but found a good source with different sizes here
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D42E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom