Magic salt shaker...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Skye

Something I knocked out tonight. The instructions are in the most recent Woodturning Design Magazine. Works pretty well. It's kinda basic, just wanted to try out the idea.

shaker1.jpg

shaker2.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Very cool Skye. A couple months ago I saw Nick Cook demo one of those. They're a neat trick and a real conversation piece. Did he write the article in Woodturning?

Skye

I'm not sure, it's out in the shed, I'll have to check it out. He made his a little different than I did mine. I just used one chunk of wood for the body where he used a couple. I also turned the inner part like I was making a funnel, then parted it off at the thin end, if that makes any sense. I didnt see the point in gluing the funnel, backwards, to a waste block.

Next time I do it I'll have to take some pics and make a tutorial for my method.

S

spiritwoodturner

Dennis Liggett demo'd at our Turner's Meeting last month, and I wish he would have done that instead of twists, which I doubt I'll ever do. That looks like a fun little project.

Skye, do let us know what you did to streamline it. I'd love to see a tutorial on that. Looks like a nice gift for someone. You did a nice job on it!

Dale

Skye

I'm going to make a real photo tutorial on this, but here's a basic markup:

1. Take a piece of stock and turn it between centers. Put a tenon on each side for a 4 jaw chuck.

2. part down the center, stop lathe, twist halves apart.

3. Using a forstner, hole cutting bit, whatever, cut a 2" wide hole, about an inch deep.

4. Dome the hole you just drilled. Shape the outside of the body, shape the top and part off. Make the total depth 2" at the peak.

5. Reverse chuck it, I used the smaller jaws, doesn't really matter if you mar the inner walls because nobody will ever see it. Clean the top of the shaker, add chattermarks, inlays, whatever. Sand the body.

6. Mount the other blank. Drill a 1/8" hole through it, at least 2" deep. Start turning a funnel in it. Sand this pretty smoothly.

7. Remove the material outside the funnel. Make sure you keep a bit for the foot of the shaker, also make a 2" wide step that will fit snugly inside the shaker. You should make these walls somewhat thin, but there's not need to get crazy. Just make sure you get smooth sweeping walls, nicely sanded, so the salt can ride up the walls when shaken. Part off so that the distance from the part and the shoulder that stops at the foot is about 1 5/8" total. That should leave you with about 3/8" from the top of the funnel to the peak of the dome.

8. Glue them together.

salt.jpg

Skye

You'd be surprised how fast it fills through that little hole.

I think the hole may be a tiiiiiiiny bit too big and too much salt tends to come out.

MarkHix

Great job. I marked that article as something else to try. The history of it was also pretty interesting. They sit flat on the table/shelf so bugs cannot get in.

Ok, thats it, I'm making one Tomorrow, nice sketch, Skye. I know a guy who made a really nice one, but made the hole too big, so he made a plug for it, works really good to keep the salt in during tranporting for show....wouldnt need the plug at home if you like as much salt as I do.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Something I knocked out tonight. The instructions are in the most recent Woodturning magazine. Works pretty well. It's kinda basic, just wanted to try out the idea.

This is driving me nuts, I remember reading the article, I have a subscription to Woodturning, but can't seem to find the article.

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like a fun project Skye. Was the original write up in Woodturning or Woodturn Desgn Magizine? Great job or providing the "How To" insturctions. Hope you'll come back to our Carolina Penturners soon.
Pat
Lexington, SC

Fred

I like the design of the 'shaker' as it also seems to prevent all the salt that can (and will) get out if ever it gets knocked over at the table. Ya know accidents do seem to happen around us turners ever so often!

And is it not a proven thing that bad luck follows one that spills their salt? :eek:

Very nice article ya did for us all. Thanks!

Top Bottom