Made time for a couple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tomwojeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwojeck

I've been busy making a table for LOML, but made some time to do these two. The first is a Platinum Jr Gent made from Spalted Oak and the second is a black titanium cigar made from blue quilted maple. Both are finished with Behlen's and a light beall buff.

Comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

200551914447_oakandmaple.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomwojeck

Thanks for the kind words gang! Everyone seems to like the spalted oak pens. I feel like I should send a commission to low_48 every time I sell one.[;)]

tomwojeck

Bill,

No, not yet. I'm making another queen anne table. I got the cabriole legs carved and sanded, now I just need to do the table aprons, table top and stain/finish it. I figure I have about another 2 weeks left and it should be done. I could be done quicker, buy my company has this policy where they won't pay me if I don't show up[:D]

Thanks for asking!

wayneis

I agree about the spalted oak, that stuff is just the wildest wood that Ive seen and I wish that I had bought more. I sent four blanks out to get stabilized and am in the process of getting a couple ready to turn now. I was suprised that the stabilazation took so well, its really quite a bit heavier now. I just sent about forty blanks out and am now finding out which ones took the stabilazation, I know that at least a few types didn't already.

Wayne

tomwojeck

Wayne,

Just out of curiousity, do you have them stablized because of personal preference, or do you find they turn out nicer?

Also, where do you send them?

thanks,

wayneis

I like how stabilized wood turns and finishes so I send a lot out to Steve at River Ridge. Some of the blanks really nedded it but others like that spalted oak really didn't need it but I thought that it may end up nicer. I haven't turned the blanks that I sent out, just getting them drilled and glued up. Most spalted woods do benifit from some sort of stabilizing. I also sent some tiger myrtal wood from Australia because it was so dry that when it turned it came off in dust, I'll see how that came out soon. Some times its a crap shoot, you just don't know until you try if a particular wood will take the process.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom