Made a pen for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

I have always taken my "rejects" as my personal pens, finally decided to make a pen for me, start to finish. Wanted to try some new things...so I tried them all...

First completely kitless. First double closed end. First fountain section. First threading...now I gotta go get the RIGHT tools, not my 14.99 Harbor Freight tap and die set :)!

Not a great pen, but a great pen for me. Now I know I CAN do those things, and can just work on improving them!

Decided to build this when I noticed a Heritance section and feed. Got an Email from a very special guy yesterday and figured I better try to "do him proud". Thanks Lou.

Ebonite section (that needs to be cleaned up!), thanks to George for his tutorial! Didn't exactly follow the plan, but the concepts and pictures sure made this do-able!

Now I have to start writing with MY fountain pen.... any ideas where to get some ink :wink:????

sorry for the lousy camera phone pix, but the kid is off skiing this weekend, little *******.

Attachments

• open.jpg
    open.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 369
  • closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
...now I gotta go get the RIGHT tools, not my 14.99 Harbor Freight tap and die set :)!

Mmmm.........if you can do this with the WRONG tools, then I can't wait to see what you do once you get some decent tooling. :eek: :biggrin: Well Done!!!
At the rate at which folks are going kitless these days, I'm surprised that some enterprising vendor isn't offering a variety of clips as seperate parts.

tbird1957

I'm ready to move up to some closed end pens. Ready to start threading.
I don't know what I really need so some help would be appreciated.
I have a Delta LA200 MIDI Lathe.
What size taps and dies?
Where do you get them?

Thanks
TJ

Texatdurango

Well it's about time you joined in the kitless fun! Like Skip said, if that's what you can do with lousy tools, I can't wait to see a pen made from good tools!

Texatdurango

I'm ready to move up to some closed end pens. Ready to start threading.
I don't know what I really need so some help would be appreciated.
I have a Delta LA200 MIDI Lathe.
What size taps and dies?
Where do you get them?

Thanks
TJ
I would suggest fixing a nice cup of hot chocolate then visiting the "advanced pen making" forum with pen and paper in hand and start reading through some of the threads, many of which spell out exactly what you just asked about. A lot of people have already done the leg work, all you have to do is read and take notes but be forewarned, there is no specific list of tools, no one store to buy everything you need, kitless means being creative and being creative means coming up with your own ideas and tooling in many cases and that is the fun of it all.

OKLAHOMAN

Jon, fantastic results, now run out and get the "RIGHT TOOLS", then tell us what the hell they are....:wink:

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good goin Jon. I know it feels good to make a pen for yourself. This is a nice one. Did you need one of your clips back?:biggrin: Just teasing you. The pen is fine without one.

GoodTurns

Good goin Jon. I know it feels good to make a pen for yourself. This is a nice one. Did you need one of your clips back?:biggrin: Just teasing you. The pen is fine without one.

this was actually the 2nd cap... 1st was apparently a bit overambitious and refused to play nice. made it to glue up and managed to screw up the final pressing. was determined to finish this today so knocked out a "clean, clipless design".

GoodTurns

May I ask how does the cap stay on?

good old friction. that's what I mean by needing better tools...gotta get some nice taps and dies...the cheapies i have are great for very rough work (where the section and body meet is screwed together) but not anything i would want visible. I'll go shopping with some of our fine folks here next week and get some new toys!

wiset1

Really awesome to see you do this! Branching out past the kits is a big step for most people and it's the sign of the true artist. As Steven noted...when you have the right tools you'll be a monster, just knocking out the kitless pens left and right. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

IPD_Mrs

Wow Jon - That is really a great treat for yourself isn't it. I so admire being able to make a pen completely from scratch yet it scares the bejeezes out of me to even think about doing it on my own - lol, Love watching MR. do so though and looking at all the pretty ones you guys manage to put out!

Linda

Top Bottom