Mach 3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from papaturner

turbowagon

Here is how I did it with a few Tru-stone and Lucite blanks with the Mach3 kits from The Golden Nib.

1. Turn the blank round to a consistent diameter between centers.
2. Chuck up the blank using small jaws (or a collet chuck, if available) and true the exposed end using the method of your choice.
3. Using a Jacob's chuck in the tailstock, drill a hole using a #30 or 1/8" bit about an inch deep. Drill slowly and clear the chips often.
4. Cut the threads using a M4x0.70 tap held in the Jacob's chuck in the tailstock, by manually spinning the spindle and advancing the entire tailstock slowly (not the quill). Back out often to clear the chips.
5. Un-chuck the piece, and switch to your favorite between centers combo (e.g., stebcenter in headstock, live center in tailstock). It is your preference which orientation to put the blank, but I prefer the open end towards the tailstock.
6. Shape the handle to your liking. You should be able to shape the handle most of the way, leaving a small nub connecting to the extra waste at the closed-end side.
7. Sand up to a very high grit (8000 or 12000 if possible).
8. Apply plastic polish on the lathe.
9. Part off the handle at the closed end.
10. Finish the butt end by hand, careful not to mess up the nice finish you've already applied to the majority of the handle.
11. Glue in the threaded stud using thick CA or epoxy.
12. Don't glue the razor head to the exposed stud if you want the option of replacing it in the future.

razors.jpg

Last edited:

fernhills

I do them just like turbowagon and i thought i invented it. Accept i don`t thread it, i just drill a hole just large enough to fit the threaded stud and then use thick c/a to glue them in permanently. Carl

Top Bottom