M3 Segment from the Teaser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Like I said, I wanted to see how the M3 material would segment before I did my big segment pen with it. I am very pleased indeed. My theme on this pen was panels riveted together. The pattern repeats so there are 4 sections around the pen. And there is a solder "rivet" at all the corners. I would love to know your thoughts. Oh and the material used was the Galaxy Silver and Nickel Silver.

sierrasteelsm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Hans, it looks different, Honestly I would like to see it in real time, How was it to glue up? I agree with Lupe, it really has an industrial look.

hewunch

Ken, check out the other thread "teaser" in the Advanced pen making forum. I put glue up pics in that post. It segmented like wood to be honest. And I will very likely start using the Galactic Silver for the frets on my Guitar pens because it turns so much better than aluminum when segmented. My next pen from this material will be the big one for them. Then I am going to try some left overs with wood. But at this point, I have no doubt that it will segment with wood nicely.

VisExp

That looks great Hans. I think you nailed the look you were going for. How was it to turn? I got the chance to turn one of the M3 blanks at one of our chapter meetings. I don't know which one it was, but it was like trying to turn steel.

cnirenberg

Hans,
I like the way it turned out. Very cool. How was this stuff to turn? I like the look of the material, but for the cost per blank, I need more than a good feeling that it will work out. Just a broke fools perspective.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I think you have a winner!. Very unique. Does it shine up well or is it more of a matte look?

RAdams

Banned
very cool. Reminds me of an old war plane. can you go with darker "rivets"? they are hard to see on the lighter squares. maybe a brass solder or something on the light squares so they contrast. jmo...

workinforwood

I think the color combo matches that kit real nice and it has a great fit and finish. The segments themselves confuse me. The panels look like they are mis-matched together, I don't make sense of it. Just my honest opinion though...perhaps I'm the odd one out.

hewunch

I would say this material is similar to true stone (softer ones like malichite). I tried to get it to chip out and I was not able to. Jeff my design goal was to give the look of steel panels before paint. This was my first time working the material and my first time using solder. I plan on making some changes in the future.

jleiwig

I would say this material is similar to true stone (softer ones like malichite). I tried to get it to chip out and I was not able to. Jeff my design goal was to give the look of steel panels before paint. This was my first time working the material and my first time using solder. I plan on making some changes in the future.

Figure out how to get some simulated rust around the rivets and you've got a cool pen on your hands. Airbrush an old air force star on it and you've got an awesome P-51D pen.

JJturns

I get the miss match panels and it looks great. The whole industrial look is very unique and very cool. Great job, I'm looking for to seeing the next full size you mentioned.
JJ

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I have to admit that the first time I saw it, it did nothing for me....:redface:
Second time, I thought that it was actually pretty interesting.....:)
Now I think it's actually pretty damn cool. I think the thing that kept me coming back to it is that you didn't align or perfectly halve the 'plates'. To me, that makes it far more interesting. :biggrin: Well done!!!

Jgrden

Without reading what anyone else has said, I am not sure it is a pen that I would carry expecting to be an attention getter. I think more pictures of it would be beneficial. The book it rests on is taking away the originality and allure of the pen.

Top Bottom