Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from csb333

Status
Not open for further replies.

csb333

tn_Lucite-Aluminum%20r.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

It does look nice. With the reflections showing up more than the surface, it's hard to see the makup of the pen. I assume it's mostly lucite with aluminum rings? Nice looking whatever it is.

chigdon

It looks great but I can't see it. I think if I could see it better I would only love it better. Can you discuss the process you went through at all?

woodscavenger

New pic please. I am really curious about this pen. I can't quite make things out. The concept looks great but I'll hold final judgement for now......

csb333

Sorry about my picture taking. I'll see if I can take another later in the week. The top is just round aluminum with grooves made with a parting tool. The lucite was purchased from pipe makers emporium and it was easy to turn. - Chris

Fangar

I am thinking that the creative minds here are seeing things that are not there. Correct me if I am wrong. The Body of the pen is lucite, while the cap is aluminum with grooves in it. From the photo it appears that the cap is black or a dark color as well. What I thought at first was that your top cap was lucite with aluminum under it, and that the grooves cut by your parting tool were through the lucite and into the aluminum. From your statement, it does not appear to be so. I concur... another photo please! [:)]

Cheers,

Fangar

csb333

James- You are correct. It's nothing that you couldn't whip up in about an hour! I don't think that I could do it the way you described because it would be too fat. My aluminum drilling is not up to par, so I still put the brass tubes in, and by the time I had a layer of brass, one of aluminum and one of lucite it would be fat. I think someone thought I laminated it, but I don't think that lucite laminated to aluminum would turn very well, and the heat generated by the aluminum would melt the lucite. Sorry I had everyone's hopes up, but I am just an average pen maker. It does look great in person though.- Chris

chigdon

From what I can see it is better than the 'average pen maker' at least the 'average' ones I know could produce. It may not be the holy grail that some of us thought it might turn into but I can see enough to tell it is a really top notch pen.

Fangar

Originally posted by csb333
<br />James- You are correct. It's nothing that you couldn't whip up in about an hour! I don't think that I could do it the way you described because it would be too fat. My aluminum drilling is not up to par, so I still put the brass tubes in, and by the time I had a layer of brass, one of aluminum and one of lucite it would be fat. I think someone thought I laminated it, but I don't think that lucite laminated to aluminum would turn very well, and the heat generated by the aluminum would melt the lucite. Sorry I had everyone's hopes up, but I am just an average pen maker. It does look great in person though.- Chris

Chris,

I think it looks great and that you did a fine job. Please forgive me if you thought I was speaking down on your design. I just wanted to get the particulars right. It does give me an idea for something though. Keep up the creative work. Oh yeah, post another photo [;)]

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom