Lucin Cut-Off

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

The Lucin Cut-Off was a train trestle of the Southern Pacific railroad and went from Lucin, Utah to Ogden, Utah and was built across the Great Salt Lake in Utah. Construction started in August 1902 and the trestle was put into service on March 8, 1904. It cutoff 43 miles from trains having to go around the lake. The curves and grades eliminated by this engineering feat saved enough power in moving such a train to carry a man 400 times between New York and San Francisco. The trestle started to go into a decline in use starting in the 1960's and in 1993, dismantling and salvage of the trestle began. All told, 12 million board feet of decking and 20 million board feet of pilings were salvaged.

I traded a fellow with a few pens for some of this historic wood. This is made on a Liberty pen kit.

As usual, I can't make up my mind which picture I prefer (I will also post some others I need help with :reface:).

Please let me know which you prefer.

C & C welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• Lucin Cut-Off 1.jpg
    Lucin Cut-Off 1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Lucin Cut-Off 2.jpg
    Lucin Cut-Off 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Thanks, Jim and Billy. I agree with your choice. Now let's see if anyone else has a preference:biggrin:

elkhorn

Thanks, Frank and Bob. I just really love wood with a history. I guess the "burls" have it:biggrin:

Top Bottom