LOuisiana Alligator Parts License

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

During a visit to a customer in Louisiana last week, I learned of a Louisiana state license that permitted the sale of alligator parts. Parts include any body parts other than the skin.

In reading the law (linked below), there could be a hefty penalty for the sale of body parts without a permit. Also, the law requires records be kept for 6-12 months of each transaction depending on the type of transaction.

The customer was a convenience store operator and spoke of them needing the license to sell things like alligator tooth necklaces, etc.

Interesting. Anyone from Louisiana aware of this law? Does this affect sales of alligator jaw bone blanks or pens?

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=105093

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Interesting ! I wonder if that law applies only within the state of LA.

Last edited:

Jgrden

Hmmm. in conjuction, i think the alligator pens are ugly but there must be an attraction beyond my comprehension. That being said, where can I find some alligator to purchase?

wob50

I don't know about this law but there is a lot of laws here on the books that only there to make money for the fat heads in offices, With that said there is a meat shop near my house that sells gator I can asked the owner about this law and get back with info asap.

Oaky got bad news. YES you need a state permit or license to sell ANY part of the gator That is what the owner said.

Last edited:

KenV

These laws are a good thing. They were put on the books to address those who poach wildlife and sell the body parts. Killing bears and selling the gall bladders into international markets is one example.

There are some pretty stiff federal laws addressing the interstate sale of wild animal parts that you do not want to be caught up in.

The licensing helps keep the illegal trade down - that outcome makes some hassle worth it as long as we have those who would profit from the illegal trade in animal parts. It als protects your customers from a visit by a federal officer.

Top Bottom