Loop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

What size eye loop or loupe works best when grinding nibs?

Please and thank you,

John

Alsp,anyone in San Bernardino going to the L.A. Pen show?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I think it really depends a lot on how good your eyes are. I think right now I'd probably get a very powerful one but I would take a nib with me and try several to see which gave me the best view.

frank123

For a quick look I use a 2x, for more detailed inspection I usually go a 6x sometimes an 8 or 10.

The more powerful the magnification the less the depth of field making it more difficult to use - at least for me with the ones I have.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
For a quick look I use a 2x, for more detailed inspection I usually go a 6x sometimes an 8 or 10.

The more powerful the magnification the less the depth of field making it more difficult to use - at least for me with the ones I have.

True enough --- the more powerful it is the harder it is to work while looking.
If you want to see the work while you're actually working on it you have to go with lower power probably no more than 4X or 5X

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I want to look and polish or form a nib in action. Your information leads me to a 5 to 8 X, correct?
You'll have to try it
I have a 10X magnifier and I can't get the work in focus far enough away from the magnifier to do work. Where I worked a lot of fine assembly work was done under magnification and it was usually limited to about 3 power or so. Before I looked at a loop I would look at lighted desk magnifiers and see if you can find one that will work for you. Of course you might have a hard time finding a desk magnifier not made in China. I don't think loops will have that problem especially if you want a good one - Germany, Japan and the USA are about the best with lens.

Jgrden

I want to look and polish or form a nib in action. Your information leads me to a 5 to 8 X, correct?
You'll have to try it
I have a 10X magnifier and I can't get the work in focus far enough away from the magnifier to do work. Where I worked a lot of fine assembly work was done under magnification and it was usually limited to about 3 power or so. Before I looked at a loop I would look at lighted desk magnifiers and see if you can find one that will work for you. Of course you might have a hard time finding a desk magnifier not made in China. I don't think loops will have that problem especially if you want a good one - Germany, Japan and the USA are about the best with lens.

Heh, heh heh. I used a hood magnifier today to see that a Iridium point was cut wrong. I need to see what the magnification was on that puppy. I might already have the power needed HOWEVER need to see where the instrument was made. I have a sneaking suspicion it is China.

Top Bottom