Looking to upgrade my chisels...but to what?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

So I am looking to upgrade as I currently have the Benjamin's Best 3 pc. Pen turners Chisels. I am planning on turning other projects such as pepper mills, bottle stoppers, small lidded boxes, etc. So the question is what should I be looking at. Ideally I would like to try to find a set rather than buying individual tool as they usually priced better but whatever. Also if anyone knows when some of the regular vendors have tool sales would be useful to know.

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
While sets seem like a good idea there are always one or two tools included in the set that you would never use.

With a 3/8" bowl gouge and a 1/2"" skew you can turn all the projects you mentioned. (I'm assuming you already own a parting tool) As you gain experience you will know what tool you will need next.

Also, a forstner bit(s) might come in handy to core the pepper mills

Last edited:

mickr

spindle gouge..spindlemaster (many people prefer) small lidded boxes can be drilled out with fortner, but outside turned with bowl gouge(if grain orientation calls for it)

jleiwig

So I am looking to upgrade as I currently have the Benjamin's Best 3 pc. Pen turners Chisels. I am planning on turning other projects such as pepper mills, bottle stoppers, small lidded boxes, etc. So the question is what should I be looking at. Ideally I would like to try to find a set rather than buying individual tool as they usually priced better but whatever. Also if anyone knows when some of the regular vendors have tool sales would be useful to know.

Thanks!!

Doug Thompson tools. Simply some of the best tools for a good price.

Wildman

Everything you talk about wanting to turn can do with a few spindle-turning tools. PSI has least expensive spindle tool sets going.

For pepper mills and boxes, nice to have some of forstner bits too. If you are going to drill on the lathe need a drill chuck too.

If you want to move up in quality and price recommend buying only tools that you need. Many places will give you a discount if buy two or more tools at a time. For ideas on what is out there get a couple free catalogs. Have to keep checking websites for sales & specials. Don't forget links section for more vendors.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com

Top Bottom