Looking to make a segmenting jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Hi all,

I need some suggestions on making a jig to help with gluing triangular segments that will keep them from sliding.

I saw the pics gketell posted of the jig he came up with - which is really straight-forward and easy (thanks Greg).

I'm wondering if anyone has come up with anything different (better/worse).

Just trying to get the best combination of info together to maximize my level of success.

Also, any do's or don't's about the angle of cut, etc.

Thanks,
Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

Nancy..not quite sure what you are asking..if you are asking for a way to keep all the pieces of a row of segments together while they dry...rubberbands...hose clamps..there are tons of books that help beginning segmenters with questions like these...The Art of Segmented Woodturning..Tibbets Woodturning with Ray Allen ..Nish...ask your library for them...or buy and keep by your lathe

jduxbur

Pen Blank Jig

Nancy,

Not sure what others do but I use a piece of corian with a notch cut out of it the size of the blank. That way the glue won't stick to it and it can't expand when clamped.

randyrls

Hi all,

I need some suggestions on making a jig to help with gluing triangular segments that will keep them from sliding.

Nancy; One thing is to cut all the blanks you will use to the exact same size and square them up on a table saw. Trim two adjacent faces so they are straight and square, then trim the other two edges so the blanks are exactly square.

I use CA Glue either medium or thin.
As to gluing the segments together, I use a flat piece of wood with a small 90 degree angle. I put a piece of plastic wrap under the blank to prevent glue from sticking to the blank.
angle.jpg

Hope this helps....

VisExp

I do something similar to what Randy outlines, except instead of a piece of wood and plastic wrap I cut up and screwed together some pieces of white cutting board. That and lots of 6" clamps :)

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I tend to use an oversized blank on either size of my project blank. I lay wax paper across the two blanks and then set the project blank into the "valley". Lay up the pieces with lots of medium CA. Two 'C' clamps holding the three pieces together to hold the project blank straight and then a small jorgensen's clamp to pull the project blank together lengthwise.

You just have to be sure that your inlay pieces aren't wider than your project blank. Taller is ok, wider doesn't work.

GK

Top Bottom