Looking for wood I.D. confirmation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

Electrician was doing work around our new-to-us house, upgrading the two car garage by installing a 240 drop for my new lathe and LED lights. Anyway, he brings me what looks like a pallet or part of a dock and asks me if I would like to have it. He tells me he got it from a guy and was told it is Redwood and it is old (like came out of an old bard). I said sure, thanks. I got around to planing the wide surfaces and was wondering if anyone can confirm that it is Redwood and if not what type of wood it could be.
Let me know if you need different pics and what view you would like.
Edit: Added more pics
Thanks for your input

Attachments

• wood no flash.jpg
    wood no flash.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 102
  • Bark.jpg
    Bark.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 101
  • End Grain.jpg
    End Grain.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Grain close up 2.jpg
    Grain close up 2.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Grain close up.jpg
    Grain close up.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Yes, that is wood. Does it have the characteristic smell of cedar? No matter what, it will make for a great project. PM sent.

JohnU

I'l sure someone will give you a better answer than me but that doesn't look like any redwood I have seen. Looks more like spruce or yellow pine to me.

Mortalis

Yes, that is wood. Does it have the characteristic smell of cedar? No matter what, it will make for a great project. PM sent.
It does not have a Cedar scent. It is a very slight Piney scent and when I planed it it planes very glossy.
The pictures do not do justice to the color. All the boards with the exception of the wider piece, have a reddish hue to them.

Mortalis

I'l sure someone will give you a better answer than me but that doesn't look like any redwood I have seen. Looks more like spruce or yellow pine to me.
When it came to me it was very dark and 'grimy' (like the 2x4's next to them, true 2" x 4") and looked like it had been walked on a lot. It was not sappy at all but then again if it is old it may have have dried out quite a bit.

That looks like pine, not old growth or newer growth but somewhere in between basedon the rings. The growth rings in pine are very distinct and have that color variation in them. I do not know of another wood that has that effect with the growth rings other than pine.

Mortalis

Thanks everyone for your input. When I looked into Old Growth Yellow Pine ( aka Heart Pine) and read it has a very unique coloration of red amber color. that would fit this wood to a "T".

PatrickR

Thanks everyone for your input. When I looked into Old Growth Yellow Pine ( aka Heart Pine) and read it has a very unique coloration of red amber color. that would fit this wood to a "T".
I have heard it referred to as "pitch pine" also. It was very commonly used in barns and houses.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks like yellow heart pine to me. Very Old Growth heart pine - not what you will usually find in HD or Lowes or similar. More like what would be found in a high priced re-purposed wood store where the wood is taken from old houses and building that have been torn down.

leehljp

Member Liaison
One more observation, if I may - It looks like those were probably used as flooring as I can see what appears as floor joist shadows/markings and nails holes at those spots. It also looks like something that was common in in the early in the 1900's and even into the 1960s in rural small towns and country stores - they used coal oil on the floors as they swept them in the evenings to keep the dust down. This was done two to four times a week. Those boards appear (but it could be the lighting in the photographs) as having been soaked in oil from a similar process for several decades of use. (It also made them a fire hazard.)

Mortalis

One more observation, if I may - It looks like those were probably used as flooring as I can see what appears as floor joist shadows/markings and nails holes at those spots. It also looks like something that was common in in the early in the 1900's and even into the 1960s in rural small towns and country stores - they used coal oil on the floors as they swept them in the evenings to keep the dust down. This was done two to four times a week. Those boards appear (but it could be the lighting in the photographs) as having been soaked in oil from a similar process for several decades of use. (It also made them a fire hazard.)
Lee,
In the group photo (1st photo) there are 2 long 2x4's on the left side of the photo that I have not milled yet. The planks were nailed to them when I received the lumber. The "joist shadows" are from the 2x4's

Top Bottom