Looking for soapstone blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave S

I have some soap stone that I could cut some blanks for you or you can get some at Hobby Lobby (enough for about 12 blanks) for about $5.00 if my memory serves me correctly.
Dave
Just went to the link, guess you won't be using hobby lobby soap stone, it is very soft, carves easy but I have a hard time with any fine detail holding

Last edited:

low_48

Dick Blick sells soapstone blocks. It cuts like butter on the bandsaw. Shipping soapstone pen blanks would be problematic. It breaks easily with any shock, especially if there are any veins.

TimS124

The darker colors of soapstone are the harder colors. The lighter the color, the softer the soapstone. That's why soapstone counters are pretty much limited to the darkest colors...but the really cool carvings are often the lightest colors (easy to carve and unlikely to get a lot of handling vs. countertops that take a lot of wear and tear).

The only pen I've seen made with soapstone had hairline cracks at the ends that happened with the nib, top, center, etc were pressed into place. Soapstone has zero elasticity and the friction fit of those pieces was enough to cause noticeable marks. Expect to have to ream out the insides of your pen tubes so the press-in parts slip in easily (and expect to have to glue those parts in place since there's so little friction now holding them).

I suggest using soapstone instead on beefier projects like a shaving brush: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/tried-something-new-tonight-117388/

That page also lists the source for the soapstone I used...you can order uncut stone or have them cut it to whatever size you're after.

Chasper

Pipestone (catlinite) from Pipestone National Monument in Minnesota makes a good pen, but not particularity attractive. It is hard enough so it doesn't easily scratch from fingernails, but soft enough to turn. Black soapstone (steatite) is used in countertops, it is a little harder and also makes a useful but boring pen. I've been told that the hardest black steatite comes from Quebec, but I know that some countertops are made from Brazilian Black soapstone. Search for black soapstone and you will find sources.

The two problems with steatite pens, other than dulling your band saw blades, is that they easily crack in assembly and the stone is so soft that it will get scratched under the clip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom