Looking for recommendations for new eqipment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodLM

Hello turners!

I have been out of the turning game for a couple of years due to a few factors, but that is finally changing! I will be setting up my shop starting next week, and wanted some input from the group on what they like as far as some mid-range tools go. I will be buying a new lathe, drill press, and band saw (this one is not right away) and wanted to know what y'all like. the lathe i had before was the cheapest one you could buy at harbor freight and would like to step up from that. As far as drill press' go, i would like to have 3'"+ of spindle travel. i just feel like i have been out of the game for so long i don't really know what all is out there anymore. thanks in advance for any and all input!

Cheers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

For a lathe, if you want a mini, go with the Jet 1015 or the Rikon equivalent. Get the variable speed versions. Jet also makes a slightly larger one, I believe it's the 1221.

For a bandsaw I have the Grizzly G0555. It has served me well and is a good price.

I don't know anything about drill presses because I have been borrowing one from a friend for the past 8 years. He doesn't seem to miss it.:)

Warren White

Some thoughts...

I have a Jet Mini 1015VS and I really like it. That said, your choice of models should be influenced by the intended use; if you want the added flexibility of a larger lathe with bells and whistles, go there. If you think you will need more than a 10" swing, do it now rather than later.

I have a Jet 14" bandsaw with riser. I also like it.

As far as a drill press, if you are planning on drilling pen blanks, make sure the quill travel is adequate for a complete pass through the blank.

stonepecker

Better still.........plan to drill on the lathe and get the bandsaw. The drill press can always be gotten later.

I have both Jet and Rikon. For my money, get the Jet with VS......you will never regret it. And as Warren said ......go bigger if you think you need it.

keithbyrd

If you are limited go as advised - Drill on the lathe and get the band saw
I just got the Nova comet VS - that is a good competitor for the lathes mentioned above.

WoodLM

thanks everyone! i think i will go with drilling on the lathe... after doing some research i think this will fit my uses better! as far as lathes go, the jet 1015vs is looking good. but i also found the Delta 12-1/2 Midi-Lathe Variable Speed Wood Lathe for $549 on Home depot website... i have heard goo things about that as well

TimS124

Lowes carries a nice Porter Cable drill press for $319 that has 4" of quill travel. It's a floor-standing unit and appears well made. I've drilled on the lathe and on the drill press...I'm not giving up my drill press any time soon and that's a pretty good price for a nice drill press!

Here's a link: Shop PORTER-CABLE 8-Amp 12-Speed Floor Drill Press at Lowes.com

I picked up a used Jet 1014VS (the predecessor to the 1015VS mentioned by others) for $300 via Craigslist. It's a great lathe for pen turning and similarly sized projects. I'm sure their 1015VS is equally good.

My bandsaw is one of my favorite tools. I used a Delta 14" open-stand version from Home Depot for 20+ years (and it was only about $400 new). A buddy has it now and I've moved up to a larger Rikon (dual-speed, beefier motor, bigger cutting capability). You can do a lot with a good bandsaw that goes beyond just supporting what you'll be doing at the lathe...might be worth saving up a bit more to get a better one instead of falling for the budget models (a cheap bench top bandsaw that's sufficient for pen turning can be bought new for about $100).

Top Bottom