Looking for parts Made in USA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken B

Does anyone know of pen parts made in the USA? I find that all my metal parts are made in china or tiawan. I would like to make pens that are 100% made in the USA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Probably not

You might but even if you find everything else, I doubt that you will find refills made in the USA an perhaps not even ink if you go the FP route.

Also transmissions if you use one, click mechanisms and mechanical pencil mechanisms.

I wish you good luck, it would be nice to see a pen that was completely made in the USA

boxxmaker

I to would love to make my pens from good old US of A parts,but sorry to say that I can't afford the prices on that site, when I can get kits from 1.50 an up.

IPD_Mr

You will not find US made kits anywhere for that kind of money.

I know there was a big hoopla post about buying and selling American ect... I have no intentions of getting into that debate. People have to do what is best for their business plan, wallets and consciense.

Mike

workinforwood

USA.

Bexley pens, made in the USA, 100% of the pen, every single component including their nibs and feeds and filler options in Columbus Ohio. If you can afford it, they will sell you nibs and feeds..but wow..they are expensive.

Micheal's Fat Boy...99% USA..everything but the refill.

Masterscroller.com, My custom pens have been switching to 99% USA..just not the refill and not the fountain nibs

Silverpenparts.com...he makes all his own parts right here, USA and offers them for sale

Brian Gray, Edison Pen company...makes every part but the nib, USA

Bruce Robbins...

Butch

the list goes on and on...sorry if I didn't mention your name. If you make almost every single part, it's USA, even if you did have to use a german nib. There are the resources available to obtain every single part from the USA. Sometimes you need to get a little more creative to achieve and maybe have to spend more, but it can be done. None of this though, means your pen will be better than made in China. There's a lot of amazing high quality pens coming out of China. In the big manufacturing world, quality can be an even playing field, so made in the USA can give you an edge for some sales, but also the costs of doing business can lose you business due to your selling price point. It is very honorable for a company like Bexley to be all USA and yet, it is not necessarily dishonorable that everyone else has outsourced. There's two sides on every coin.

Need ink...get Noodlers, very highly regarded fountain pen ink, made in the USA

Need clips..there's some companies here in the USA that make clips too...but you'll have to buy a few hundred minimum.

IPD_Mr

This is all true Jeff, but when you ask for pen "kits" made in the USA for $1.50 and up, it ain't happening.

Mike

azamiryou

I to would love to make my pens from good old US of A parts,but sorry to say that I can't afford the prices on that site...

I assume "that site" is silverpenparts.com. While the prices are much higher than normal pen kits, the prices are amazing when you consider that they are solid sterling. These days, silver is over $35/ounce.

Obviously, the prices put these pens directly into the "high end" category (and therefore not suited to every market), but I wanted to make sure no one was left with the impression the prices are anything but a bargain.

IPD_Mr

Thank you Matthew. That needed to be said. What Mike sells is high end silver components. They should never be associated with "kits".

alphageek

Former Moderator
There is great thoughts above on how to get to be american made - (both making your own stuff AND some high end custom components).

However, Ken - I've looked of your other posts. Seeing that you just started this, I think your going to find that until you have some more experience under your belt, you going to be limited to the 'kits' from overseas.

Ken B

There is great thoughts above on how to get to be american made - (both making your own stuff AND some high end custom components).

However, Ken - I've looked of your other posts. Seeing that you just started this, I think your going to find that until you have some more experience under your belt, you going to be limited to the 'kits' from overseas.

I can assure you that the number of posts or my resent entry to the hobby has nothing to do with my desire to use parts made in the USA. Also please don't confuse me the Original poster with another person who has the same name.

Also please reread your post and how arrogant you sound. My skill level is NOT that of your average guy who just got into this hobby on a whim. Assuming a person's skill set such as you have is insulting. So much so that if this is how people treat each other here I am not certain I need to be here.

Thank you to all who have posted to my questions.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I can assure you that the number of posts or my resent entry to the hobby has nothing to do with my desire to use parts made in the USA. Also please don't confuse me the Original poster with another person who has the same name.

Also please reread your post and how arrogant you sound. My skill level is NOT that of your average guy who just got into this hobby on a whim. Assuming a person's skill set such as you have is insulting. So much so that if this is how people treat each other here I am not certain I need to be here.

Ouch

Man a whole lot was read into in that one statement.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ouch

Man a whole lot was read into in that one statement.

Wow... I agree with this..

Ken - I think you need to re-read YOUR post and realize the assumptions you have made.

My point was no matter how great your desire to have parts from the USA, unless you are making fountain pens, there is NO made in the USA parts. If you are looking at FP, there is very little places to get made in the USA. (The only one that I've seen is listed above).

The rest of the names that were listed are people who make custom stuff by themselves, for themselves. If you have enough skill to join that crowd, good for you... Most of us here aren't at that point yet and have made MANY pens.

My point was not to your skillset, but to enhance your knowledge/experience. There is a TON of information and knowlege to pick up here. I was going off the fact that you said yourself "Greetings folks, I only took this hobby up a few weeks ago by creating my first pen. Boy is it fun :)" in another thread.

I assumed NOTHING about your skill level other than that. What I was pointing out was just a reply about your question. You asked about american made kits. There are none! Not in the form of pen "kits" that you have seen in your time making pens. No amount of desire or skill from you will change that availability (short of you creating things yourself, but then those wouldn't be kits), thus my comment wasn't on your ability.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ouch

While Dean and I have butted heads on occasion - I need to defend him on this one. There is nothing in his post disparging your skill - he only said that he thought from some of your other post that you were inexperienced.

When reading a post, you should read only what is written.

Last edited:
Top Bottom