Looking for advise on a wood grain....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

Hello all I know I am prob getting to be a pain in the azz with the Questions but how else can I learn from all you PRO'S. I have my first order for some pens and it may lead to a GREAT opportunity one of the pens ordered the customer ask for a medium dark wood with nice grain so this is my question for you all.... Suggestions for type of wood that I should look at to decide what one to use. The customer ordered two pens to start one he wants in Maple to match the "decor" in his office, the second is for his wife to use for a check book pen so I need something durable but I am only charging 12.00 a piece for the two slimlimes, I know its cheap but if it works out I will get a very nice order for prob about 100 pens for the County Commissioner. Thanks in advance for any and all help on this.
Len

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Hi Len, for a medium dark wood with a nice grain, I would consider olive wood, does not have to be BOW, just a common olive wood. They make nice looking pens, IMHO.

tim self

A medium dark wood that would be adequate for this project would be walnut. Easy finish and nice figuring available, my choice in this matter because of cost compared to some of the other suggestions. When you are charging $20-25 each, it's more cost effective to use higher grade woods. My.02

Last edited:
I hope he doesn't hold you to $12 apiece if he buys a 100 pens. You will burn out and maybe quit doing pens. I have a 50 pc. order to fill by jan. 7th. I'm 1/2 way complete and wish I could get back to turning a varity. I'm getting $25 each for a acrilic on a slinline blank

Jim Smith

IF you have it available, some nice Desert Ironwood would make a beautiful pen that may just make the sale for your 100 pen order.

Jim Smith

tseger

Hi Len, you may consider Bocote. It has some amazing dark lines through a field of dark yellowish color. Bocote blanks can usually be purchased very reasonably, in fact, I have some if you would like to give em a try, PM me your address.

robutacion

Hello all I know I am prob getting to be a pain in the azz with the Questions but how else can I learn from all you PRO'S. I have my first order for some pens and it may lead to a GREAT opportunity one of the pens ordered the customer ask for a medium dark wood with nice grain so this is my question for you all.... Suggestions for type of wood that I should look at to decide what one to use. The customer ordered two pens to start one he wants in Maple to match the "decor" in his office, the second is for his wife to use for a check book pen so I need something durable but I am only charging 12.00 a piece for the two slimlimes, I know its cheap but if it works out I will get a very nice order for prob about 100 pens for the County Commissioner. Thanks in advance for any and all help on this.
Len

Hi Len,

Lots of options is good but sometimes a pain in the azz, not like your questions, they are all good and pertinent! :biggrin: so don't feel bad about asking, we all do the one way or the other, is always someone willing to help instead of criticize! :cool:

Now in relation to your dilemma, it helps to keep samples of the timbers you come across, mainly when you are put in the situation where a nearly "give away" can mean further business...! in this case I would void cheap and flat blanks, you need to use something that you can get at a reasonable price to help transform a cheap kit into a beautiful pen(s). The options are just too many to name, you may look into timber suppliers blanks to help you decided what you believe would go well for the purpose they will serve but that, is only half of the battle, the fit and finish is all your doing, regardless of the timber used, sure some timbers make a good finish easier to obtain.

Sorry, this may not be much of a help to you, I agree, the olive wood suggestion is a very good one but, have a look around, see what is easily available to you for now!

Good luck

Cheers
George

JimMc7

Olive wood as mentioned and clear quilted maple from Arizona Silhouette (CA finish, no BLO) shown here:

IMG_6976.jpg

AS also has some quarter sawn silk oak which IME has very nice character, too, and I think it would still look good even on a slimline:

IMG_6879.jpg

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Curly Koa, Mesquite burl. are all med dark woods. Walnut burl/crtch wood. can be light or dark.

Len Shreck

Thank you all for the help. I think I have one piece of Desert Ironwood here but I am afraid to try it being new. I think that is a more expensive wood isn't it? I like what I have seen pics of that is made from that but I dont know if I am confident enough to try it ...lol I guess no guts no glory comes into play on this one...lol

JimMc7

JimMc7,
I really like the quart sawn silk oak in the second picture. May I ask where you got it? Thanks.
Len

Len, the silk oak is from Arizona Silhouette, but it's $4.95/blank which results in a pretty slim margin at $12/pen. You might also check the bocote, chechen and Honduras rosewood at Lee Valley -- $1.60/blank in quantities of 10+ and Lee Valley is offering free shipping until January 3. I've never tried the chechen so no opinion on it other than color may be what you are looking for. I like the Honduras rosewood but I'll admit the only pen I've had split after completing is one in bocote!

Good luck!

Here's a Honduras rosewood, too, FYI (but it may be a bit dark for your requirements):

IMG_6898.jpg

Len Shreck

I have been looking through all the wood that has been given to me and found a few I would like opinions on please. I found one that says Koa on it what does that look like in pen form, Sandal wood same, Goncalo Alves ??? and another one that has nothing written on it and I cant get the grain pattern to show up on a picture with my camera but I will keep trying. Thanks again all for your help.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Koa covers lot of ground, It can be light blond with shimmer, brown, redish brown, lots of curl, no curl. the stuff with curl makes a very dramtic pen. Its one of my top 3 choices for wood. What is your time frame for making this pen?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Len,

Consider oak and ebonize it. Based on how much you sand it, you can control the darkness of the pen.

Ebonize - White vinegar in a bottle and toss in some rusty nails, bolts or whatever rusty pieces you have. Wait a week. Turn the oak to nears size and then pain it with the rusty vinegar. For $12 a pen, you don't want to spend much on the blanks.

As to pricing, you can always lower your prices, raising them can be tough. I gave away pens until I was confident in my abilities, then I started charging.

David Keller

I hope you post the pen you finally make. I've used chechen in the past and it makes for a nice medium brown pen. I really like koa, especially if it's got any curl to it. Curly maple with a dye would be nice as well. Walnut tends to go pretty dark on me, but it's a beautiful wood. Black Ash burl, maple burl, brown mallee burl all come to mind as medium brown options that I've had good luck with.

Hope the order comes through for you.

Len Shreck

I found some Paduak pen blanks on eBay fairly cheap anyone have a picture of what it looks like done? I also put a bid in on some African Wenge it looks awesome any pics of that? Thanks
Len

Last edited:

JimB

Len -the best way to get an idea what the different woods look like on a pen is to do a search in the SOYP forum for that type of wood. I do that all the time. It's fast and easy.

I found some Paduak pen blanks on eBay fairly cheap anyone have a picture of what it looks like done? I also put a bid in on some African Wenge it looks awesome any pics of that? Thanks
Len

Len,
Paduak is a red wood that runs from orange to dark red.. I don't do Paduak much any more... think I react to it...

I think I have a wenge pen in my files.. I'll look and post for you..

Found a Euro, and slimline in Wenge
and a Cigar in Paduak... I have some inlay dots in the cigar using ebony.

Attachments

• 33-089.jpg
    33-089.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 33-113.jpg
    33-113.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 33-291.jpg
    33-291.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 86
Len,
For what you are charging I would look into buying a board instead of buying 100 blanks it will save you money. I would consider using oak. Ebonizing sounds interesting.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Len

Len,

I don't have any Wenge, but I have some Paduak you can have if you want to visit. Also, I can show you how ebonizing works.

Give me a yell, as long as you don't mention Penn State!

Top Bottom