Look, Mom, I made a pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hazmat74

hazmat74

Well, this is my first shot at a pen. It's a slimline with matte nickle plating for the parts. I used marble wood for the blanks. It's a wee bit off, which is due to my tail stock being slightly out of alignment. I'll fix that up for the next one. I had a bit of a blowout on the top barrel at the center band end, which I filled with epoxy and wood dust. I don't believe it's visible in the photo and is otherwise tough to pick out unless you're aware of it. Also, the top barrel is a bit too fat, causing the clip to bow outwardly a stitch.

There are a handful of other little things that I've noticed on it and will be paying attention to on future efforts. I mostly wanted to get one under my belt so I understand the process from a hands-on perspective. Reading about it and watching videos doesn't give you the same sort of insight as making one start to finish.

Speaking of finishes, this is boiled linseed oil and CA. I only put about three coatings of CA on because I didn't turn it down enough to allow for the buildup of the finish and didn't want it to stand any more proud of the parts than it already does. At a glance, it seems to be fit well, but it's not and I'm aware of that. I erred on the side of leaving it a bit proud for my first effort rather than try to get it spot on and take off too much stock.

All in all, I'm happy with the first effort while aware of the areas that require improvement. I'm using this as my work pen for the time being and it takes nice notes so far! Any input is appreciated, though the bad image may make criticism difficult. I'm going to take some better shots of it this evening.

1_20130903_072931_1_.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CatSmasher

Nice work.
I still have my first pen - I use it every day at work. I have made a lot of pens since that look a whole lot better, but none mean as much.

flyitfast

That is definitely a keeper - unless Mom gets her hands on it!!
As others will tell you. Hang on to that pen. You have done a great and I can see you doing much better. Six months from now get this one out and compare to your newest one and be proud as to how you have improved. Put a photo comparing the two on the Forum so we can enjoy your improvement.
Great job!
gordon

hazmat74

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback. Highly appreciated. I'm looking forward to starting my next pen. I have two more slimline kits and am awaiting several Gatsby kits, which are the ones I'm really interested in making next, though I'll likely get bitten by the bug and knock out those two slimlines before the Gatsbys arrive.

Top Bottom