Look, ma, no kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

My first kitless pen. Used a Schmidt feed and nib, and roller clip from Elliot. Used a scrap piece of slightly curly Cherry (can't see the curl in the photo, but it's there) so I wouldn't screw up an expense acrylic with my first try. This thing is so light, even with the converter it won't register in grams or tenths of an ounce on my digital postage scale. The cap doesn't post, but it's close so I may be able to modify it. The next ones will post. The finial doesn't fit as tight as I'd like, but that'll be corrected on future versions as well. Finished with plexi.

20084244249_curly_cherry_fp_schmidt1.jpg

200842442426_curly_cherry_fp_schmidt2.jpg

As always, feel free to hammer away. ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Looks good, how does it write? One of the things that concerns me about going kitless is the weight thing. Perhaps I'm in the minority on this, but I actually like a certain amount of heft in a pen. Doesn't mean it has to be "heavy", but I don't like them weightless either. Does yours feel comfortable to you?

Dan

alamocdc

Thanks, all!

Dan, I haven't inked it yet so I can't answer the writing part. However, it's Schmidt and I expect it to write at least as well, if not better, than our kit nibs.

John, I meant to do just that, but got a bit over excited as I was finishing it up and forgot until it was too late.

FWIW, I tried to widen the mouth of the cap this morning so it would post and ruined the finish. It spun in the vise.:(:([:0][B)][V] But I should be able to fix it tonight and while I'm at it I'll add some embellishments to the cap.;)

alamocdc

George, I don't really mind the snap cap so much, but I'm not terribly fond of this size feed. I like them at least the size of the Mutschler. It took some trial and error to get things to work correctly, but I have a good handle on it for future pens now. I need to order some Mutschlers. I initially went with the Schmidts b/c of cost and I didn't want to invest a lot if I wasn't going to be happy with what I could do with it. Now that I know...

Mobilman, posting means that the cap will fit onto the back of the main barrel in use.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Billy

I love the wood and the pen looks awesome!

I am new to the kitless thing, so I am going to ask a really dumb question. The "connection" points for the pen, ie the nib and body, the finial to the cap, are those metal inserts with screw threads, or did you actually use a tap and die on the wood?

Thanks

Robert

alamocdc

Robert, I used a small screw to mate the finial to the cap, and the nib & feed came with a brass insert with internal threads that I epoxied in place. Check out Elliot's stuff and you'll see what I mean. He pictures most of it. There are any number of ways to accomplish this and it takes some calculation and planning, but it isn't really all that difficult.

redfishsc

Wow, that is a very pretty pen.

For the finial at the clip, I'd consider putting something like blackwood, DI, cocobolo, or a similar wood that offers some dense hardness and also provides a bit of a contrast to the rest of the pen.

alamocdc

Well, I fixed the cap this evening and now it posts. Yeah!!!!! Score! Nuttin' but net!:D I even refinished the cap and this little darling will become my daily driver soon so I can test the Schmidt nib.

Texatdurango

Billy, Have you tried to remove the nib for a good cleaning yet? One thing I found out about the Schmidt front section is that the nib, feed and housing or the "front section" is all one unit and if a customer wants a particular pen but an upgraded nib, you can't just swap nibs. So much for customizing nib jackets to match the pen bodies![:0]

alamocdc

I did try to pull one apart, but it was VERY stubborn so I gave up. I doubt I'll offer an upgrade for these. Is the Mutschler easier to work with? Cost alone tells me it's a better nib and I need to bite the bullet and order some of those while they're still available.;)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The Mutschler's can be upgraded and/or swapped out for my SF or 18 k gold nibs, which come in Fine or Medium. (I also have a few broad tips and a few extra fines in the 18k nibs.)

Dan_F

Billy---I'll be interested to see how you feel about the weight, balance, and comfort of writing when you get it inked up. It should handle differently than what we're used to with kit pens.

Dan

Top Bottom