Longer Cap barrel on American Patriot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I started working on a PSI American Patriot pen. I lined up the fittings, but didn't like the short upper barrel. No problem I thought, I can just extend the upper barrel as I have done on many slimlines.

No soap! The transmission connects to the cap finial, and not to the tube. Transmission isn't 7mm standard either (8mm?). If you make the cap longer the transmission doesn't reach up far enough to catch the cap finial. I am thinking about making an aluminum(?) tube set to extend the transmission.

I'm open to suggestions about how to do this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Bummer, I liked the idea and was looking forward to hearing how you did it. I haven't bought a Patriot yet because of no supply, but didn't like short upper tube either.

Trees2Pens

Not sure but interested

I guess the design is to have the eagle be part of the top blank length but with a Parker refill that sets in the finial, I think modifications are not easy.

randyrls

Well; I took some measurements. The transmission is .293" so a tube ID .293" and OD >.365" Next a pin OD .293" A slot in the top of the pin engages the finial. Glue pin into the top of the tube. Should do the trick. I will try this out tomorrow morning. More tomorrow.

I already assembled the first one. The upper barrel is 1.452" and it still engages the finial but I'd still like to make it longer.

Last edited:

randyrls

Bummer, complete failure. The spacing between the transmission and the finial cap means you will have to create a VERY long (2.1") upper tube. That makes the blank look unbalanced and the pen is just too long to be held comfortably in the hand.

I only got 2 pens so I am out until PSI gets more in stock. I have another idea to make a sleeve and glue it into the upper barrel to engage the transmission. That will take the finial cap out of the equation.

randyrls

I'm not talking to myself, (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) I started on a PSI Southwest pen. I noticed that this pen is not made the same way as the American Patriot. The transmission bears on an extended portion of the centerband. This means that the upper barrel can be easily extended. I'm going to post a feedback to Penn State Industries to have them modify the American Patriot to match the Southwest.

Anyone interested in a longer upper barrel for the American Patriot please suggest this to Penn State Industries.

After some thought, I realized that a short tube inserted into the upper barrel and glued there would work on the American Patriot.

Top Bottom