Local Chapter Meetings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vfauto

I am posting here in hope of ideas. We have a chapter meeting on a regular basis and it seems to be losing attendance. I was hoping others that attend meetings in their area could share some ideas of what they do at meetings. We do very little and most of the 4 hours are spent with the long time members telling stories. I have been to several meetings and out of the four hours maybe 45 minutes have been productive. This is no fault of any one but it would be nice if any one out there could give us Ideas !:confused:

Thanks Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrimsonKeel

Ive only been to one meeting since i joined recently but there was a demo on turning a dip pen and a casting demo also. there were raffle tickets for donated items, meeting minutes, show and tell. i'm sure there is more. anyway the next Michigan meeting is a cnc demo.

So demo's would be a good place to start. even if its turning something non pen related.

kovalcik

You have to give the members a reason to show up. +1 on the demos. Have something for every meeting, segmenting, fountain pen tuning, casting, how to use a skew, anything at all. Maybe making other things on the lathe (small bowls, ornaments, etc.) A lot of pen turners have not tried other forms of turning so that may be interesting. Hands on is best but not necessary. One month have people bring in their lathes and make pens for troops or a retirement home as a group.

If your group is big enough, look at doing group buys. You can get really good deals on CA glue buying in bulk.

Another thing is to have a challenge for each meeting. Pens in pine, pens using a soda can, pens with a food theme. Everybody brings in their challenge pen and then people vote on a winner. Have some small prize. My turners club gives a $10 gift card to Woodcraft.

The key is to make the time productive. If you can't fill 4 hours, make the meeting 2 or 3hours.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Our next meeting is on Baseball Bat pens. We asked the members to come up with a variety of ideas and a few will demonstrate their techniques. I've made 4 or 5 different types including some stylus designs.

One after that will be on fountain pens covering inks, converters, switching and tuning nibs, etc.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Our meetings are usually 5 hours. The first is the "braggarts' table" where people bring things they want to show off, have questions about, etc. then we have lunch and general discussion about whatever comes to mind. After lunch is demos, tutorials, etc. we've done casting classes, ornaments, pepper mills, box threading, sharpening, etc. we don't limit ourselves to just pens. Depending on how long that goes we might have more discussion afterwards.

I think the trick is to DO things every time and try to do different things each time so it doesn't get stale. AND involve everyone. Even new turners should be in encouraged to participate.

flyitfast

How many times a year do you meet??
Sounds like a full day. Do you meet on Saturday's?
Your meeting content does sound interesting - might have to "steal" some ideas.
Thanks,
gordon

Our meetings are usually 5 hours. The first is the "braggarts' table" where people bring things they want to show off, have questions about, etc. then we have lunch and general discussion about whatever comes to mind. After lunch is demos, tutorials, etc. we've done casting classes, ornaments, pepper mills, box threading, sharpening, etc. we don't limit ourselves to just pens. Depending on how long that goes we might have more discussion afterwards.

I think the trick is to DO things every time and try to do different things each time so it doesn't get stale. AND involve everyone. Even new turners should be in encouraged to participate.

Top Bottom