Live Oak burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

If its like the Holm Oak Ive got then you'll love it.
Its nice to turn and the colour and figuring is very attractive, dont know about burr/burl mind you.
Im sure youll be very pleased with the end result.
regards, Bill

I think he means live oak the tree, which I would love some. I used to live on Oak Island in North Carolina which was named after the live oak tree. They are very slow growing trees. Rick if you have any you want to get rid of let me know

Lulanrt

I would like to buy a few pieces if you get it cut up let me know. I want to make some pens for some old friends I meet during disaster duty for the USACE during Katrina. Thanks
Travis

AceMrFixIt

I will see what I can get. They said they were looking to sell it. They approached Woodcraft here but changed there mind. I got mine from the guy that cut the trees. He comes in to HD and picks my brain about home repairs. Told me he will bring me more. I will be glad to do some trading. I will keep all informed.

Last edited:

jskeen

Any true burl will always find a market here. But you gotta remember burl means different things to different people, and usually even more different between people trying to sell and people interested in buying. If it really is solid burl, with eyes and no straight grain, it should sell well. Be sure to see the exact piece you are buying, and remember that there is a lot of waste and pieces that are ALMOST big enough and solid enough to make a pen out of. (but not quite). Those pieces can usually be cast into WW blanks, but that process is very time consuming, tedious type work, again with a fairly high reject rate, so most people who do it only use wood that is very cheap or free.

Top Bottom