Live edge cottonwood burl bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hi everyone, a little while back I posted a score of burls that I got from some folks down the street.They were gracious enugh to let me take what I wanted for free.So to say thanks I made them this bowl.It has a shellac finish buffed with steel wool and wax.This is my first real live edge bowl I've done.Getting ready to deliver it now.

Attachments

• DSCF2948.jpg
    DSCF2948.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 781
  • DSCF2949.jpg
    DSCF2949.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSCF2950.jpg
    DSCF2950.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 652
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

WOW, I think it is very nice. So much character in that wood. As pen makers, we spend so much time perfecting an acrylic (PR) pour but I have not seen many that can beat the wonder of Mother Nature. Great piece!

plantman

Very interesting Dale. Looks like something that dropped in from outer space. I would be happy to display that piece anywhere. Great job in turning !! Jim S

Bob Wemm

That piece is absolutely awesome.
I agree that there is nothing as wonderful as "Mother Nature".
Some of her creations are unbelievably beautiful.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of your score.

Bob.

SDB777

Curious...during the sanding process....did you get any knuckles?

Seriously though.....AWWESOME!!!!

Scott (great choice of finish) B

low_48

Nice. Might I suggest a dark filler around knots and darker wood cracks. My favorite filler is used dry coffee grounds in epoxy. That natural filler around the dark knot seems to accent the filler was used as compared to dark filler blending in.

Dale Lynch

Curious...during the sanding process....did you get any knuckles?

Seriously though.....AWWESOME!!!!

Scott (great choice of finish) B

I wasn't brave enough to sand while on the lathe.I took it off to power sand the inside and hand sand the outside.

Nice. Might I suggest a dark filler around knots and darker wood cracks. My favorite filler is used dry coffee grounds in epoxy. That natural filler around the dark knot seems to accent the filler was used as compared to dark filler blending in.

You might be right about the natural filler being a tell tale sign that filler was used but on the otherhand it also provides a nice contrast of colors.Thank you for the tip on the coffee grounds,I've got some walnut with some checks and that will come in handy cause natural filler would look horrible in it.

Thank you all for the compliments and suggestions to improve my work.

Top Bottom