little help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dozuki

I have slowly been gathering the tools I will need to make my first kitless pen or at least to attempt it. I have a bock nib and feed housing and my research says it needs a 7.9mmX6mm and I can't find one anywhere. I looked on Classic Nib and couldn't find it and I checked a few other places I can't remember of the top of my head. So if there is a vender here that carries it or if any one could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Zulu

It really depends how far you want to get into kit-less and how good/bad your machining skills are. If it is only a hobby, I would suggest you get the intermediate (seconds) tap. That is what I have. People usually get the bottoming tap as well for the nib holder threads. If you are new to taps/dye threading, I would suggest practicing in some more forgiving materials, like alumilite, or if you can afford it, use ebonite (quite expensive, but very nice for threading). In a short while you will get proficient enough to make a working fountain pen section. If you plan to sell I would suggest you get the whole set. This could get very expensive very quickly as there are other nib holder propriety threads and makes out there, and you will want to make them, sooner or later.
If you plan to get the taps from Beaufort Ink, send a quick email to the owner, Phil Dart and ask him about the postage and US custom fee. He has a Facebook page as well.

Phil Dart

Thanks for the help. I am going to order from Beaufort. I don't need all of them do I.

I see I have more research to do.
Just seen your post Paul. Wish I'd seen it sooner. Your order went off to you today, and I put in a spare housing for you to have a play with, without risking the one on the nib.

Just make sure that the unthreaded part on the inside of your section is a mm or so longer than the unthreaded part of the housing, so it doesn't lock up by running out of thread, and you'll be a few emails ahead of others who are just starting out down the custom road.

Good luck
Phil

dozuki

Zulu thanks for all the good information. I ordered one of the three taps from Beaufort. Unfortunately I didn't see your message until after I had ordered.

Phil thanks for the extra. I can't wait to start practicing. I think I will be getting the rest of the set in the future and I will be giving you the business.
That didn't really sound right. Lets say I will be ordering my taps and dies from you. You also have a nice selection of ebonite that I will be ordering more of in the future.

Top Bottom