Liquid Graphite Technolgy Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Found one of these in the regional version of Wally World.
Sharpie liquid pencil
I bought one and it does bear a close resemblance to a pencil written line. Erases well too, the no more broken leads is nice.
Does any one other than Sharpie make or sell the refills, appears to be similar to a roller ball one?
:clown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's the 1st time I've see this. It says it becomes permanent after 24 hours, so not really a pencil. But it would be worth a try.

SDB777

Have you disassembled it yet and made something that looks a like more 'cool' for it to wear?

And what store did you find this at?

Scott (what size tube it gonna require) B

Brooks803

you can find them in pretty much any big box store plus a google search will give you a ton of links. They are the same length and profile as a parker refill too! The only difference is they don't have that plastic "crown" thing on the end and they're a bit smaller in diameter. The refills I bought are 0.5mm. I just went and tried replacing refills in all my parker style pens. If it's a twist mech it was a perfect fit and function. The only click kit I have is the long click and it did NOT work in that. Other clickers I couldn't tell you. It did work in my kitless clicks though. I'm pretty sure it's bc of the click mech itself.

So this very well could become a solution for pen/pencil combos that have become so elusive. The literature on the refills says it's just like using a #2 pencil, but I wonder if they'd be usable for those standardized tests/scan tron cards.

ve3bax

i bought a few packs of these when they first came out about a year ago (maybe more now??) and they seem to be hit and miss... some of them work great right out of the package others lay down a broken line for a while but with some use seem to improve. while the package says the ink becomes permanent after 24 hrs, its permanent according to a specific standard (no i dont know the name of it ;)... you can still more or less erase the bulk of the ink... the one upshot of these if you are a notebook user is it wont smudge on the pages of your book when you close it and the pages rub together like regular pencil lead does...

also, brooks, good call on the parker size, i just threw one into a sierra, works nicely. :cool:

--Dave

Last edited:

PTsideshow

We have Meijers which started back in the day as a variety store. Now is a regional super store type deal.
I have used it and then written next to it with the #2 mechanical type pencil. Looks like a close match, erases easy and with the regular pencil one too.
It does write like a pencil I tend to be ham handed and it does get darker the more you press. I break a lot of (leads) I like the 0.7's 0.9's they last a lot longer then those hairs, in the skinny ones with me!

I thought that it would be a good substitute for the loading of the leads,broken leads etc. empty lead chamber etc.
So far I really like it, will have to check out the BBS today went out and about.
Brooks803 said:
The only difference is they don't have that plastic "crown" thing on the end
It stays in the upper barrel of the pencil, it doesn't come out of the barrel when the spring and refill are taken out.

wood-of-1kind

I purchased one very similar and is made/sold by Grand & Toy Stationary supplies. Personally don't like the way it writes. Will NOT purchase another, ever, ever...:frown:

ttalsma

We have Meijers which started back in the day as a variety store. Now is a regional super store type deal.

Heh, want some more information on Meijer? They actually started as a Spartan Grocery store. My father worked for Spartan for over 33 years. He used to tell some stories about Fred Meijer.

PTsideshow

Heh, want some more information on Meijer? They actually started as a Spartan Grocery store. My father worked for Spartan for over 33 years. He used to tell some stories about Fred Meijer.

Read the book they were selling the history and his bio at the check outs for 49¢ He sound like he was a trip. But his sculpture gardens near you are really something!

ttalsma

Read the book they were selling the history and his bio at the check outs for 49¢ He sound like he was a trip. But his sculpture gardens near you are really something!

Yep, have to agree. We were out there just before Christmas. My son earned a scholarship at Ferris State and they had a dinner there.

My wife and I met Fred at a local store. Even got a picture of my wife with him. He was very personable and must have been in his late 80's. Quite a hoot!

Last edited:

scotirish

Here we go again. In the late 50's Paper Mate came out with a liquid lead pencil. :tongue::tongue: It worked like a ballpoint pen. Did to last as it had problems with plugging up and the ball would not roll out the liquid. :mad::mad: Seems the old adage "What goes around comes around" is true.
Ron

PTsideshow

I didn't test if it erased...heck I don't even know if I have a pencil anywhere in the house! Gonna see if I can find one...

Just tried erasing some squiggles from the other day Monday, both with the hard eraser That comes with it and a white regular eraser for pencils. It removed it from the paper, All of the liquid graphite, but if you press hard with the pen/pencil like I do it leaves the tell tale pressure tracks in the paper.

I will say one of them out of the second package I bought, started out with a splotchy line like has been mentioned in other posts, with scribbling for a while it appears to have cleared up.

ve3bax

Here we go again. In the late 50's Paper Mate came out with a liquid lead pencil. :tongue::tongue: It worked like a ballpoint pen. Did to last as it had problems with plugging up and the ball would not roll out the liquid. :mad::mad: Seems the old adage "What goes around comes around" is true.
Ron

paper mate and sharpie are owned by the same parent company (Newell Rubbermaid) so it's a fancy rebranding of old tech :biggrin:

--Dave

PTsideshow

WT28.jpg

Here the two types that they are selling around here, with one dissembled up to a point didn't use any tools yet. The extension bit that fits on top of the refill and below the click button doesn't come out. It is captive.

Top Bottom