Lipstick Blank Hole

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

I'm attempting my first Lipstick pen in acrylic. It calls for a 1/2" hole in both blanks. I have the Colt 33/64 and the 31/64. I would prefer to use one of these as opposed to a standard 1/2" bit.
What is the general concensus as far as which bit? I would assume the larger to allow for the epoxy to fill the gap. Am I headed in the right direction or are there other options?

Jim Smith

I've made at least 50 of these kits and have always used a 1/2 inch bit. If you're planning on using some sort of acrylic blank (these sell best for me), then simply do not cut the blank until you've drilled the first part for the lipstick pen. What I do to prevent potential blowouts is to leave the blank the full length and mark the drill bit with a Sharpie marker to indicate the length needed for the tube. Drill the blank slightly deeper than needed for the tube and then cut it off at the right length with just a smidge extra at each end mill it smooth. Then, drill the second half of the blank doing the same thing. This should leave just enough of the blank to make a third blank for your next lipstick pen (assuming you have matching blanks) Using this method, I get three lipstick pens out of two matching blanks . Just a thought.

p.s. Ladies really love this pen kit. It is a perfect fit for a purse pen and unique enough that nobody "accidently" keeps a pen if they lend it out.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom