Like this better? Cupboard with new drawer front

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cdcarter

cdcarter

In response to feedback that the color on the drawer front of this piece was too far off the rest of the piece, I made a new one.

Two notes worth making:
(1) The drawer had to be made from "new" wood because I ran out of the reclaimed. It was impossible to get it quite to the original color.

(2) I am color blind. No, really -- documented, tested, the whole bit. Usually doesn't matter because the same stain and wood will come out consistent. But on something like this, it's a major handicap. I had to get the help of friends to get this as close as possible. It involved testing every stain available (well, everything darker than maple) on equivalent wood.

Yes, I know the grain is a little contrasty, but believe or not, that's not joined -- just one piece of wood. Just grew that way.

Anyway, hope you guys like this one better.

piesafe.jpg

alamocdc

Carl, I do like that better. [^] I know it's probably too late to change it, but that bottom drawer front wouldn't look so "unbalanced" if the straight grain were on top. The bottom rail has very similar grain to what is now the top of the drawer, so it would flow better. Make sense?

VisExp

Carl

As one of the people who originally commented about the contrasting drawer front, I have to say you have done a great job matching that finish. The cupboard looks very, very nice.

Top Bottom