Lignum Vitae "Then & Now"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

There was some question as to whether or not LV changes back to green after turning, and if so, how long it takes. The easiest way to answer this is via demonstration. I turned this pen on Oct 5. Note the tan almost yellow coloring, very nearly that of natural Narra.

200512619181_10kRB_verawood.jpg

Here is the same pen as it looked one month later. In fact, it still looks the same today.

2005126191941_10kRB_LV2.jpg

It is almost as green as before my skew touched it. It is much more green than this photo shows., but you can tell it's substantially darker.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Billy,
What finish did you use on that pen, and how do you keep it? I made a LV pen for a co-worker that I finished with CA and it hasn't turned THAT green. It has some greenish hints to it, but that's about it. I'll try to steal his pen from him tonight and take a pic of it for tomorrow.

alamocdc

Jim, I left this one naked. Just Ren Wax. This stuff is so hard and full of naturally oils I figured it couldn't look any worse than my spalted Pecan I've been carrying for 7 years. It shines about like this one and I've not so much as waxed it. My son said he used a Hut stick on it (pecan, I mean), but you couldn't tell it.

JimGo

Billy,
Here's a contrast. I did this pen for a friend who is a little rough on his pens (hence the scratches and the broken clip). This was finished with BLO/CA, and was turned back in April, IIRC.

Before:
54253_Lignum%20Vitae%20Baron%20-%20Cropped%20small.jpg
<br />

After:
200512753534_Ricks%20Pen%20after%20months.jpg

JimGo

Sorry! The version I had from back in May was REALLY big, and would have thrown off the proportions on this page. I had to go back and edit the pic.

alamocdc

Wow, that is the brownest (is that a word?) LV I think I've ever seen! Was it green when you started turning it? BTW, does he carry it in his pants pocket w/his keys? [}:)] I give all of my customers a sleeve for just that reason. [;)]

JimGo

A sleeve would probably be a good idea for him! No, I don't think he carries it with his keys; in fact, I think he leaves it in the office at night.

Yep, it was fairly green when I started turning. I'm not sure of the species; I got it from Larry Korn.

alamocdc

Jim, if it weren't for the ribbon-like grain definition (typical with LV) I'd think I was looking at Ipe. It often starts out about the same green but will finish a rich brown like that. I just haven't seen any grain definition like that in any of my Ipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom