Life's Little Pleasures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lady_Acoma

So this is very random but it has given me some jly lately so I thought I would share. I've started this hobby as a way to relieve stress while being creative and productive. That being said I didn't expect the joy I would get out of just planning what I am going to do for those I love.

Things are really tight right now and I am pinching pennies till I can get a chuck and pen jaws so I will be able to drill blanks on the lathe. In the mean time though I am enjoying watching videos, reading posts, checking out the library all in preparation.

For my dad I have a planned pen of the deer hunter bullet pen with a horn he gave me from an old kill. One of the few bucks he has ever gotten. I will invest in a refill with red ink because he wants it to be his poker pen and red ink is apparently estential for some unkown reason. He knows it will be awhile but he is happy to wait and encouraging my hobby.

What will probably seem more then a little strange to you though has been with my wife. She has dissasociative identity disorder or you might be more familiar with multiple personality disorder. As part of that she has a multitude of others within her, many of them children who have had some very bad experiences. One of the things I do when faced with any of these other personalities is to build trust and help them enjoy interactions as themselves in a safe environment.

That lately has turned to letting them start picking out what blanks they like and what they would like their own pen to look like. We get to plan how they will help and what they find exciting and it's fun. Those of you that have kids around I'm sure have felt it but it just wasn't something I was expecting to enjoy so much outside of the actual turning.

Life's little hidden pleasures are always the best and I thought I would just share this one with the rest of you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

Marcia,

You are an awesome person to be so understanding regarding your wife's disorder!

I know what you mean about the pleasure of the planning. I have only been doing this for a few months and have had a great time planning my Christmas gifts (a lot more people are on my list this year than have been in the past because it is so much fun! :rolleyes: ).

I am lucky enough to have the tools I need so I have been able to begin working on the pens and am having a great time. I wish I had an extra chuck or jaws that I could send you.

Hey, does anyone else reading this have an extra chuck or jaws laying around that you don't use anymore? If so, I'll pay the shipping. We need to get Marcia turning!!

Have fun with your planning and I hope you can start putting those plans to work soon!!

Lady_Acoma

My wife is extremely understanding of me. I am very lucky to be with someone so amazing.

I will get there with the tools, there are no worries and like I said I am truly enjoying the planning. When the time comes to be able to start turning again I will be overjoyed of course but I am very content in enjoying this time and being grateful for all of the opportunities that I have.

jaeger

Let me know what you need drilled for antler and I will drill one of mine and send it to you. You can practice while you wait.
I'll need to know what drill bit size and lengths.
Prefer to know which component set you want to use.
I could drill some slims for you if you want to
practice with inexpensive components.
Send me a PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sappheiros

Thanks for sharing with us! :)

I know I spent such a long time planning before I could start turning. I thought I could just start turning after getting the lathe and then realized I needed extra supplies (such as the chuck and pen vise). I've had such a fun time turning.

Everybody does like to pick out blanks, but I even had people almost feel entitled to it. Making something for someone else is almost like giving away a part of you, to share with them. I like sharing with those I care about. :)

Lady_Acoma

Let me know what you need drilled for antler and I will drill one of mine and send it to you. You can practice while you wait.
I'll need to know what drill bit size and lengths.
Prefer to know which component set you want to use.
I could drill some slims for you if you want to
practice with inexpensive components.
Send me a PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks to Jaegee I was able to practice and then make the following pens. The deer hunter bolt action was given to my father to celebrate his 75th birthday tonight and he absolutely loved it. The .308 bullet casing was also generously sent to me by Doug and that will go to my brother for Christmas to hopefully let him know I still love and care for him despite some tattered bridges. Thank you to Doug and I will truly take the lesson to always pay it forward.

Attachments

• CAM00306.jpg
    CAM00306.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 106
  • CAM00303.jpg
    CAM00303.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 151
Top Bottom