Lidded jar from Mountain Ash

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

Here's one of my favorite recent pieces. This lidded jar is turned from mountain ash and stands around 4 inches tall. The lid on this one is threaded.

Attachments

• P1010196.JPG
    P1010196.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 213
  • P1010199.JPG
    P1010199.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 215
  • P1010202.JPG
    P1010202.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 223
  • P1010203.JPG
    P1010203.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nicely don, beautiful wood... the threads loot really well done.

I wish my lathe would go a little slower so I could chase threads.... I've done a couple, but t 450 slowest speed, it's really not conducive to doing it regularly.

hilltopper46

Nicely don, beautiful wood... the threads loot really well done.

I wish my lathe would go a little slower so I could chase threads.... I've done a couple, but t 450 slowest speed, it's really not conducive to doing it regularly.
To be fair, these threads aren't chased, they are cut with an EZ jig with the lathe running at about 25 rpm to drive the cutter. Mountain ash is too soft to chase threads in, even if I had mastered that, which I haven't.

Awesome. I have always wanted to try thread chasing. Is it difficult to learn and master ?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
I bought a set of Sorby tools to chase threads and was moderately successful, but as I said above, you need to be able to slow down to about 200-300 rpms to be really really successful.... my bottom speed is 450 and here of late with the problems I've had with my Reeves, I really don't think I'm even that low....
There is a Youtube video out the that shows how in step by step... think it's Alan Baty (don't hold me to it though)

hilltopper46

Awesome. I have always wanted to try thread chasing. Is it difficult to learn and master ?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
I have a set of thread chasing tools. If you try it, practice on PCV pipe.

In fact, you can make inserts from PVC pipe to make threaded lids for boxes, etc. The biggest problem I ran into is if the wood moves a little bit the pvc insert may get a little out of round, or even come loose from the wood, spending on what you glue it with.

Top Bottom