Liberty Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Is anyone else having problems getting the Liberty pen refills to extend properly. I have turned several where the barrel was trimmed to proper length, yet when all the way extended, the refill is obviously not extended enough. The only time I can get them to extend properly is by shortening the blank by about 1/16 inch or by inserting a small spacer in the mechanism.

The extension is a little better with a standard Parker refill (re TonyL's recent post), but not to where it should be.

Steve's post on Tony's thread is spot on. I could easily correct the problem with a spacer or shortening the blank, but that would lead to customer dissatisfaction when he went to by a replacement refill.

Anyone else having the same issue, or is it just me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am glad you mention this; I am about to make a Liberty for someone. I may just sent it with the standard refill.

southernclay

I haven't seen this before, do you know when you bought it? I ask because I've only turned some that I got from his day after thanksgiving sale, haven't turned any I've got after that yet.

TonyL

If you are talking traded mine from Dan M.. So I don't know. Mine will be ready to turn tomorrow.

southernclay

I meant Burlman, just wondering if we can narrow down timeframe of what run it may have been from.

Also John, have you compared tube length? Actually scratch that I don't think you can disassemble without hurting the blank. Just curious as to tube length vs component issue.

jcm71

I bought them all within the last year from Lazerlinez. I have no wish or intent to besmirch Constant. He is a top notch reputable vendor, and I really like the Liberty. I just want to know if the problem I am having is common, or is it MY problem due to my technique or whatever.

southernclay

Same here, it's my favorite ballpoint.

I'll look a little tonight to see if I see anything off with the latest I have but haven't seen anything on the ones from late last year.

MarkD

I have made several Liberty pens in the past few months and have not had any problems.

jcm71

I meant Burlman, just wondering if we can narrow down timeframe of what run it may have been from.

Also John, have you compared tube length? Actually scratch that I don't think you can disassemble without hurting the blank. Just curious as to tube length vs component issue.

Warren,
If anything my blanks should be too short, which would cause my refills to extend too far. I am very careful not to leave any excess finish hanging over the end. After the finish dries I hand mill my blanks down to the brass before assembly.

I did just compare tube lengths on Liberty, Gatsby, Sierra, and a Le Roi component sets that I have yet to turn. The Gatsby, Sierra and Le Roi were all the same length. The Liberty was about 1/64 inch longer, not that 1/64 inch would have solved the problem I have described.

MarkD

Warren,
If anything my blanks should be too short, which would cause my refills to extend too far. I am very careful not to leave any excess finish hanging over the end. After the finish dries I hand mill my blanks down to the brass before assembly.

I did just compare tube lengths on Liberty, Gatsby, Sierra, and a Le Roi component sets that I have yet to turn. The Gatsby, Sierra and Le Roi were all the same length. The Liberty was about 1/64 inch longer, not that 1/64 inch would have solved the problem I have described.

1/64 inch is .015" which can make quite a difference in one of these pens. If you shorten a tube by .015" the refill will stick out alot further than it should.

Whaler

I have made and sold quite a few of the Liberty pens and haven't had a problem. I have never seen a hard and fast rule on how far out the tip must extend, my rule is that it must be comfortable to write with. Here is my carry pen, made about 2 years ago and it has an Easy Flow 9000 refill just like they come with. The refill doesn't extend quite as far as my example on the other thread but far enough for me. I tried a kit refill in it and it extends a hair farther.

Refill.jpg

Dan Masshardt

I have made and sold quite a few of the Liberty pens and haven't had a problem. I have never seen a hard and fast rule on how far out the tip must extend, my rule is that it must be comfortable to write with. Here is my carry pen, made about 2 years ago and it has an Easy Flow 9000 refill just like they come with. The refill doesn't extend quite as far as my example on the other thread but far enough for me. I tried a kit refill in it and it extends a hair farther.

That's all any if mine poke out.

jcm71

Refill.jpg

Yep, that's what mine look like as well. Maybe I'm being over critical on this. I did lose a sale on a Liberty this past weekend because the customer didn't think the refill came out far enough. I had the same blank in a Gatsby, which she did buy, however. Maybe it is time to modify the sales pitch on this pen. It is the way they are designed.

Top Bottom