Length of Mandrel? Advice Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have only turned a few pens on a cheap woodcraft mandrel, I want to get one or two from Joe at turncrafts and need advice on the length to get. Should I get the 5",6",8",10", or 12". I have seen that many turn one blanks at a time and want to try it that way. I'm willing to get more then one, so should I get a couple different lengths for different things. Also should I get both A and B size mandrels, I have not turned anything else then 7mm pens and thats all I have at the moment. I guess as short as you can use is best to avoid bending of the shaft. Just not sure what is he best size to get. I want to make a few gifts for the holidays, but I'm not happy with my woodcraft mandrel(I may have been the one to put a slight bend in it,not sure). Thanks everyone, Victor

cowchaser

For turning 1 blank at a time you only need a live center and dead center (plus the pen bushings). Both can be had at little machine shop, plus a couple of the members here. Johnnycnc and turncrafters has them if I recall. Not expensive at all.

Randy_

The mandrels that Joe makes/sells are designed for use in a collet chuck or an MT collet. If you have a collet chuck like the Beall, the length doesn't really matter as you can slide the mandrel in and out of the collet adjusting it to any length. If you have a collet chuck that is not bored thru and adjustable for length like the one from Woodcraft and want to turn only one blank at a time
, you will need a mandrel that is about 4" long. Personally, I would buy one that was a little longer and cut it off to the length I needed just to be sure I didn't get one that was to short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom