Left Hand Switch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Just wondering if any of you left hand turners are inconvenienced by the on/off switch on the right hand side of the lathe. I find it awkward when I have to turn the lathe on and off frequently. I could do it with my right hand but invariably my right hand reaches for it, crossing my body to do it. I'm thinking of moving the switch to the left of the lathe. I can't physically move the switch but would rewire to a toggle type switch. Have any of you turners done this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

The on/off switch on both of my lathes is on the left hand side, so I had no reason to change mine. I don't think that I would like it if the switch was on the right hand side, that way I'd have to reach across my body to turn the lathe on/off. Have you ever given any thought into making your on/off switch movable? I've seen this done with using a light switch box as the container, with the magnet mounted to the back to hold it in place.
Len

Last edited:

plantman

That is the price you pay for being wrong, I mean, left handed. I only have one lathe that is not VS and has to have the belt moved to change speeds. When I mounted it to the table that it sits on, I used a 20 amp household switch mounted in a metal box on the front left side of the table. All other lathes came with the VS and switch mounted on the left side. Being right handed, this works out great. As a safety feature, I would mount a positive stop button on the front of the lathe that could be pressed by hand, hip, knee, or foot if need be. A positive stop, once pushed in, must be turned or pulled back out to restart, and many can be locked when not in use to prevent someone from turning on the machine. These were required on all machines in the paper mills and most would light up when the stop was in. I would also use what is called a double throw switch, which opens up both the hot and the common wires as opposed to a single throw switch which only breaks the hot. Jim S

Dan Masshardt

Funny, I'm lefty and I feel the opposite about it I love having it on the right side I can be doing something with my left hand and change the speed or turn off. For example if I'm applying certain finishes and want to turn the speed up to buff I have keep the paper towel in my left hand.

If your hollowing a bowl you have the switch right there if you get in trouble...

Also before I turn the lathe on, I'm often holding the tool I'm about to use in my left hand

I find it excellent!

ChrisN

Get a grizzly! The one I have has the switch on the left side, Thing is, I'm right handed... I didn't like it at first, but now I feel the same way about it as Dan does, only the other way around!

NittanyLion

My current lathe is a Griz with the switch on the left side. My old lathe was a creftsman without a switch(just a plug). I simply added a light switch to the receptacle and installed it on the left side, under my bench. May work to you. Now, if I could only find a left handed parting tool....:biggrin:

monophoto

My first lathe had its switch on the left side. After using it for several years, I upgraded to a new lathe with a switch on the right side. It's now been a year, and I'm still struggling to accept that change - even though I am right handed, the fact that I'm holding the tool in my right hand means that it feels more natural for me to use my left hand to reach over the switch.

I can fully understand how lefties could have different needs than righties. Ultimately, the issue of how the person interfaces with the machine is a matter of safety. I know that there are a few lathes that come equipped with movable switches so that the operator can put the controls where they are most convenient for him. Unfortunately, they are also the more expensive lathes.

MarkD

I make a remote switch for my Powermatic. It has magnets on the back so I can put it where ever I need it.

Crashmph

I am right handed and the switch is on the left side of my lathe. I got used to it and now it is really weired when I use a lathe with the switch on the right.

dogcatcher

I bought one of these and plugged in my lathe and my dust collector in it. Turned the unit to off and turned both the lathe and the DC on. Mounted the control box elevated to the left of the lathe. Hit the switch and both start up, kill the switch and both are turned off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJBE0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I liked it enough that I made a couple of more, one for my drill press that also controls a spot light for it and one for my sharpener and the light for it.

Rockytime

I bought one of these and plugged in my lathe and my dust collector in it. Turned the unit to off and turned both the lathe and the DC on. Mounted the control box elevated to the left of the lathe. Hit the switch and both start up, kill the switch and both are turned off.

Woods 2177 4-Outlet Metal Power Block Adapter with Lighted Switch, 4-Feet, Black - Power Strips And Multi Outlets - Amazon.com

That switch makes sense. I can keep the lathe switched on and control off/on witn auxiliary switch.

Thanks for the idea.

I have two lathes, one is a Jet 1014 and the other is a Jet 1442... the 1014 has the switch on the right side under the tail stock, the 1442 has the switch on the left on the headstock... I use it most and have no problem with it... I'm right handed ... when I switch to the 1014, I invariably reach to the left for the switch... I think you get used to where the switch is and it doesn't create a real problem.
As a matter of form, I always step to the head stock on the bigger lathe, clear of the wood piece when it starts in case it come off... so I naturally step to the right when I start the little lathe.

Top Bottom