leather case

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

almer

What is the cost of a high quality 2 pen case with custom laser name and symbol,i just came fr my leather guys place and showed him my $3.95 case and asked him to make me one fr highend leather and quality laser,now keep in mind his custom jackets start at $800.00,his knife cases start at $150.oo,quoted me $80.00.Does anyone have any opinions on if this is okay or way out of line.I told him to come over and see my pens and maybe we could make a trade.thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuperDave

Originally posted by almer

What is the cost of a high quality 2 pen case with custom laser name and symbol,i just came fr my leather guys place and showed him my $3.95 case and asked him to make me one fr highend leather and quality laser,now keep in mind his custom jackets start at $800.00,his knife cases start at $150.oo,quoted me $80.00.Does anyone have any opinions on if this is okay or way out of line.I told him to come over and see my pens and maybe we could make a trade.thanks

He looks at his work the same way we do when we create high-end writing instruments. It is a combination of what he thinks his work is worth and what you are willing to pay to get it... which will either validate his perception or change yours.

Bottom line: what is his, "custom", "one-of-a-kind", "made-to-order" work worth to you?

RonSchmitt

Floyd,
Before I started turning pens, I did leathercraft for about 30 years ( Dang, I'm getting old:( )Just my OPINION but $80 seems a tad on the high side.
Check with a local shoe repair shop, those guys can make just about anything and usually have some sort of exotic leather sitting around.
If you want to try it yourself, it won't be too difficult, contact me off list and I should be able to walk you through it.

almer

Originally posted by RonSchmitt

Floyd,
Before I started turning pens, I did leathercraft for about 30 years ( Dang, I'm getting old:( )Just my OPINION but $80 seems a tad on the high side.
Check with a local shoe repair shop, those guys can make just about anything and usually have some sort of exotic leather sitting around.
If you want to try it yourself, it won't be too difficult, contact me off list and I should be able to walk you through it.I will contact you via email

almer

Originally posted by SuperDave

Originally posted by almer

He looks at his work the same way we do when we create high-end writing instruments. It is a combination of what he thinks his work is worth and what you are willing to pay to get it... which will either validate his perception or change yours.

Bottom line: what is his, "custom", "one-of-a-kind", "made-to-order" work worth to you?Yes i quite understand what your saying,was surprized he called me last night,wants to come and see my pens and how i make them,said we can likely make a deal,now the real bargaining starts.As far as pens go i have never advertised and cannot get any inventory as i sell them fast,never had anyone hassle on price. thanks

RonSchmitt

Originally posted by Hello

We charge $30 - $400 for pens that cost us less than 5% of the the price we charge to make....why can't other crafters do the same?
I'm not saying another crafter can't ask what they want. I am simply saying that I have only been turning pens for a relatively short time, but as far as leathercraft goes, I know my stuff ( it's not braggin if you can back it up :D )so if I can help someone figure out how to make his own cases, it will help him increase his profit, and allow me to pay back a little bit for all I have learned from the others on this site.

Top Bottom