Learning Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joe004

I am very new to pen turning, only having turned 3 successful pens. Are there any good books to get that would help explain methods of turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

You can find all kinds of information right here. Go into the IAP library and start watching videos. Go to the library in your home town and start with the books there. Find a local mentor.
DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY YET!!!
Any used book stores close to you? Check the gifts/want ads here and see if there are any here. Find a club and see if they have a library......Looking before buying is so much better. That way you get not only what you want but something you really need.

The mentor I found started me with a box of old magazines. Cost me nothing and he was done with them.

Welcome to the fun.

Last edited:

Edward Cypher

Welcome from Colorado. I think Stonepecker info is very correct! Find a club close to you and read and watch the stuff in the IAP library. The information here is tremendous and usually more up to date than a lot of the books. Enjoy the vortex and hold on to your money as long as you can, it will disappear soon enough in this hobby.

plantman

Go to amazon.com and look up pen turning. It will give you a section of all the books that are available at this time, and some that are no longer in print. Several of the members on this site have books out on the subject there. Also, if you find something you are interested in, but don't want to spend that much, check the used book section for great prices. # 1 book I don't think you could live without!! The Pen Turner's Bible by Richard Kleinhenz. My 2ed choise would be. Pen Turner's Workbook 3ed edition by Barry Gross. Both of these books will show you advanced penmaking as well as the basics of turning. You Tube videos are great to watch, there are thousands of them out there. If you find something that interests you bookmark it or add it to your favorates, or you may never find it again. Jim S

Last edited:

eranox

On the subject of learning, a lesson that I learned much too late is what works for someone else may not work for you. If you find a different way of doing something (and you will!) do not assume that you are doing it wrong and they are doing it right. My first lesson in this was with using planing cuts with a skew. I blew up more blanks trying to master this than I care to admit. In the end, using it "incorrectly" as a scraper and following up with a little extra sanding was what worked for me. Likewise, trying new approaches to things has made a world of difference. I recently tried the faceplate sanding method of squaring pen blanks on the lathe, and immediately retired my barrel trimmer. No more chipped out ends for me!

Rambling aside, you'll find many things that work for you and many things that don't. If you can help it, don't waste time on difficult procedures that cause stress and spotty results. This is supposed to be fun!

Top Bottom