Learning to use my Woodchuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
So I was eager to have a go with my new Customised Woodchuck from Bob and Ken:biggrin:. But as a complete novice with this kind of tool, of course there was a little learning curve. Here's how I got on.

The very first thing I discovered was my original small toolrest on my poxy lathe wouldn't go low enough to get the cutter anywhere near the centre line:mad:
Ok, so I've wanted to make a nice round stainless one for years, so knocked one up from some pretty big bolts ( ignore my version of Bird Poop' welding)
I set this up to the instructions from Ken, but as you will see in the pics, I couldn't get a nice crater free surface. I'm sure as I practice, that I'll get nice long ribbons when I lower it. Or maybe someone can see what I was doing wrong from these pics:confused: But I do get short ribbons:biggrin:
I tilted the cutter to give a bit of a positive rake, above the centre line and the result was fantastic. I could easily start sanding from at least 600grit.
There are captions on the pics.
This little tool can eat blanks for breakfast, but I soon got over my nerves and eventually held it quite lightly. When I started, it was white knuckle time:redface:. For someone like me that has never learned to use a skew, it's a Godsend and I love it:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
If I can, then ANYONE can:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1OriginalToolPostTooTall.jpg
    1OriginalToolPostTooTall.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 2NewToolPost.jpg
    2NewToolPost.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 3TooLowDegRake.jpg
    3TooLowDegRake.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 4ToolTooLowPosRake.jpg
    4ToolTooLowPosRake.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 249
  • 5WorksForMe.jpg
    5WorksForMe.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 6TooLowChipped.jpg
    6TooLowChipped.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 7BestFinishSoFar.jpg
    7BestFinishSoFar.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 8PHVCentreDrilling.jpg
    8PHVCentreDrilling.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 9SquaringUp.jpg
    9SquaringUp.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Result.jpg
    Result.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Skitrat, it looks from the pic that you're a southpaw. That explains a lot.:tongue: Did Ken know that when he created your tool?:wink:

Looks like you're getting the hang of the tool. Thanks for sharing.

Rollerbob

Skitrat, it looks from the pic that you're a southpaw. That explains a lot.:tongue: Did Ken know that when he created your tool?:wink:

Looks like you're getting the hang of the tool. Thanks for sharing.

We are the only people in our right mind!!:biggrin:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Skip, I have found that by angling the cutter just a hair, I get one continuous ribbon for the length of the blank. It just takes a little playing with and you will see what I mean.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL Nancy:biggrin: No, I'm not a lefty ( they are all nutters:wink: ), but maybe ambi-legless sometimes.:biggrin:

I guess I hold a chisel ( or file ) like this by habit. It keeps my left arm away from the chuck. :wink: But do you really think this could be causing the chipping?:confused: I think I just need more practice:rolleyes::biggrin:

Mac

I just love going fishing with a righty. they throw out with their right hand then switch hands to reel in, and 99.9% of the time I beat them catching fish. guess I missed my calling.
I have seen Skips pens on this site I'll bet he's (ambi-legless) a lot. I think its his secret.
Try that woodchuck on a bowl blank you will be amazed. I have an easyrougther and I use it a lot.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Okay, now that I've gotten to the last pic, I see the customized part! NICE! ;-)

Hey Bob, I got my Woodchuck Thursday and turned two very nice pens with it... haven't gotten around to making a handle yet tho! Try it, it works fine without one! :)

Rollerbob

Lee, I actually turned a little with it this afternoon. Geez, a bit intemidating for sure, but turned down a blank in a third of the time, tho. Still need some practice. I think the handle will give me more confidence. Very sweet tool, indeed!

Top Bottom