Learning experience this weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

So I tried making a bangle bracelet this Sunday with my daughter. Well lol, it didn't go too well. I saw the directions in the library, but they covered doing corian, although I am sure the same method could be used for wood. I used some 3/4 inch oak and tried a couple methods to secure it to the jaw chuck. I did finally get the inside hollowed out. I then expanded the jaws to hold the bracelet from the inside opening. I turned on the lathe and when I tried to start rounding it after knocking off the corners it broke in 1/2 lol. So needless to say my technique on how to go about this it going to need some tweaking/changing. I am sure I will be trying to figure it out again soon.

ToddMR

I think I found a better approach on turning a bracelet. Just have to modify my starting process hehe.

jskeen

Right, or if you just really want it to be a single piece, Round the outside over first, cut the shape and sand, almost ready to finish. Then use a hole cutter in your drill press to cut the hole to about the right size. Then you can mount from the outside, sand and finish the inside, then use a padded jam chuck or something to hold it while you do the outside. Once that center is removed, there is very little support for the two sections where the grain is directly perpendicular to the tangent of the circle, and almost any turning tool will snap it. I'd go sandpaper only at that point. I'd probably look at drilling through those points and putting in a 1/8 brass or stainless pin to reinforce the joint, if I was doing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom