Learned a new characteristic of Micro Mesh tonight...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ehickey

I'm sure that I should have known this, but...
I learned that it is a really bad idea to wet sand with Micro Mesh and denatured alcohol. It has a tendency to remove the abrasive grit from the backing...quickly.

Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hosspen

me neither, thanks for keeping the rest of us from getting "stuck". (or unstuck as it were) ;)

PaulDoug

Well see, I almost past this thread up but than came back. Glad I did, I didn't know that either. Does leave me wondering, what were you doing that made you wet sand with DNA?

ehickey

That's an interesting question...
Sometimes my logic gets the best of me. I figured that I clean the blanks with DNA after sanding, and wet sanding keeps the sandpaper cool and clean, and DNA won't cause my lathe to rust.

Sounds kind of silly now that I put it into words. :)
Eric

That's an interesting question...
Sometimes my logic gets the best of me. I figured that I clean the blanks with DNA after sanding, and wet sanding keeps the sandpaper cool and clean, and DNA won't cause my lathe to rust.

Sounds kind of silly now that I put it into words. :)
Eric

Doesn't sound silly at all. Experimenting is how we learn, it was a sucessfull experiment but it didn't have the outcome that you had expected. Unfortunatly it cost you some of your micro-mesh too.

drayman

you mean to tell me, that all you experienced pen makers didnt know that?:eek:

i didnt either:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

fernhills

Hi, sometimes i sand with MM and BLO, like between coats of C/A. Sometimes there is a little build up of C/A at the nib and cap, which calls for a little abrasive sanding with out taking much finish off. Carl

Top Bottom