Learned a couple things with this first pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So first, I need to sand down more to the bushing. I was a little worried about how far down to go. Now I know all the way. Lol Second thing, I need to put a piece of wood against my penpressxl plastic stopper. It was trying to sink into the beveled hole and making my clip stud go in crooked. I wound up turning the pen around and the wood end mushroomed a little. They should have included a solid plastic stopper also. I couldn't reassure myself to doing a CA finish so I used shellac. Anyway, first one done and things learned. I do have add also that my new grizzly lathe only came with a 12" tool rest. I wound up sanding a lot as I didnt want a tool to catch at 1 1/2" away from my work. Gotta get me a 6" tool rest for sure.
20181005_222241.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Get yourself a good set of digital calipers and never trust bushings for size of components. Always measure components and work off those measurements. Learn to use a skew. Will help tremendously. Good luck and have fun.

bsshog40

I was using my spindle gouge. I shaved it down some with skew but finished with the spindle gouge. I have calipers. I will use them next time. Thanks for the tips.

Wagner11

Something I wish I had known when I started, depending on what kind of mandrel you use it is apparently benifical to get a 60 degree live center for your tailstock. From what I understand this helps eliminate our of roundness and most lathes don't start with such a live center.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

bsshog40

Something I wish I had known when I started, depending on what kind of mandrel you use it is apparently benifical to get a 60 degree live center for your tailstock. From what I understand this helps eliminate our of roundness and most lathes don't start with such a live center.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
I have the hollow tail stock center. It slips over my mandrell rod. Not the nut type.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Bobbi.

With interests like coins and vintage watches and turning, beware - they are very complimentary.

Welcome and have FUN.

I like the profile for a first penturning - very nice.

All the above suggestions are excellent. Take notes, make adjustments, and all will take care of itself. BTW - Slims are NOT the easiest. I do like them for the ability to do modifications, but others are better IMO for starting out (i.e., Sierra series and clones). But, you did great, so that is all that matters.

I've used the adjustable mandrel with a mandrel saver (like you) for years - nothing wrong with that. But, consider eventually exploring "turning between centers." It is a great way to get much more precision.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

bsshog40

G'Day Bobbi.

With interests like coins and vintage watches and turning, beware - they are very complimentary.

Welcome and have FUN.

I like the profile for a first penturning - very nice.

All the above suggestions are excellent. Take notes, make adjustments, and all will take care of itself. BTW - Slims are NOT the easiest. I do like them for the ability to do modifications, but others are better IMO for starting out (i.e., Sierra series and clones). But, you did great, so that is all that matters.

I've used the adjustable mandrel with a mandrel saver (like you) for years - nothing wrong with that. But, consider eventually exploring "turning between centers." It is a great way to get much more precision.

Enjoy!
I will look in to that Mark. I just bought my lathe and getting used to it right now. It's a new part of woodworking for me. I'm more the craft wood maker ie... shelves, jewelry boxes, etc... I'm really enjoying the lathe and making pens has always fasinated me. I actually like the slimlines. They just look classy to me. I have used my lathe for a couple things. I made a couple Christmas ornaments for my mom and sister. I have a few different jaws and a nova 3 chuck. I plan on trying to do a goblet hopefully soon. Thanks for the comments my friend!

Last edited:

bsshog40

So in case anyone's interested, lol, I'm glad I bought the penpressxl as I'm presently re-doing the pen. I diassembled and now finishing. Also ordered a 6" rest from our own Rick Herrell.

Top Bottom