Leaky Knots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

w5brw

I've been working on my PITH and have hit a snag that I hope someone will have in site into. Working with some good solid, but still sappy pine knots and am getting cloudy CA finish :confused:. I tried to seal it with sanding sealer, Shellac, BLO, and just the CA. After I let the wood rest for a few days it starts to cloud up. Not the whole pen, just a spot near the knot center:eek:.

Sorry no pic's at the moment... At work.. don't tell them!:biggrin:

Any ideas?

Thanks

okiebugg

CA finish

I've been working on my PITH and have hit a snag that I hope someone will have in site into. Working with some good solid, but still sappy pine knots and am getting cloudy CA finish :confused:. I tried to seal it with sanding sealer, Shellac, BLO, and just the CA. After I let the wood rest for a few days it starts to cloud up. Not the whole pen, just a spot near the knot center:eek:.

Sorry no pic's at the moment... At work.. don't tell them!:biggrin:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Are you using accelerant? In the last several years. I've had a few pen barrels get cloudy when using med CA and accelerant. Under high magnification, I found air bubbles as the cause. This iassume is due to crystalization of the CA. I don't use any acc. now except to glue the tubes, and I have recently gone to Epoxy for that. longer drying time, but excellent hold.

Top Bottom