'Lava Explosion Blanks" How to?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I have developed an affinity for the blanks referred to as 'Lava Explosion' which are made from Alumilite. I am curious if anyone has advice on how to attempt making these. I particularly like the various swirled together colors, and I am trying to determine how to make this style of blank before I get all the necessary stuff for casting.

Any info/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks--Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Alumilite blanks are the easiest to turn of any. Nicer than any other material I have used. I am sure that if you just "do it" you won't have any trouble at all.

BSea

I have developed an affinity for the blanks referred to as 'Lava Explosion' which are made from Alumilite. I am curious if anyone has advice on how to attempt making these. I particularly like the various swirled together colors, and I am trying to determine how to make this style of blank before I get all the necessary stuff for casting.

Any info/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks--Don
There is no way to learn this without doing. Start small with a limited number of colors. But expect your 1st couple to be mediocre at best. And understand that people that spend the time and money to develop a product for sale may not be inclined to share their secrets.

beep119

Wondering if possible to bring this thread back to life...
I am wondering also about any tips on making the lava type blanks.
Been experimenting, but not getting the "kick" in beautiful colours.

robutacion

Alumilite blanks are the easiest to turn of any. Nicer than any other material I have used. I am sure that if you just "do it" you won't have any trouble at all.

Well, he is referring to make those type blanks himself and that is a very different cattle of fish all together :biggrin:

Now to the OP;

Some types of cast blanks are a very specific product from someone that either by chance or by lots of failures/trials manage to create something different and while I'm not the sort of guy to hide work secrets and tricks to anyone, one has to understand why is not so easy to find accurate tutorials on "how to" with certain things.

Casting offer's a lot of fun and excitement and while there may be a particular type effects blanks that we particularly like, nothing is more rewarding than create your own instead of trying to copy someone else's work.

With time and practice, you will find ways to create basically any type blanks you like, exceptions do apply, offcourse...!

Have fun.

Cheers
George

Hawkeye53

It's a shame that no one stepped forward with some instructions or even hints. I've asked on the various Facebook pages about this very thing and it seems to be a closely held secret. I've tried to puzzle it out myself and really never got close. I certainly understand not wanting to give away the farm if you've worked hard and developed something unique. On the other hand, how does anyone learn without mentors? That said, I've found a wealth of information on this site, generously given away! Nicest people I've ever met have taken me by the hand and walked me step by step. Just puzzled by this one area...

Brooks803

It's a shame that no one stepped forward with some instructions or even hints. I've asked on the various Facebook pages about this very thing and it seems to be a closely held secret. I've tried to puzzle it out myself and really never got close. I certainly understand not wanting to give away the farm if you've worked hard and developed something unique. On the other hand, how does anyone learn without mentors? That said, I've found a wealth of information on this site, generously given away! Nicest people I've ever met have taken me by the hand and walked me step by step. Just puzzled by this one area...

It's funny how you mention how hard someone worked at developing a unique product only to ask for it to be given to you with nothing in return. This is a persons livelihood and you can't see why it's not blasted on every inch of the internet?!?! If you want a mentor, there are plenty of posts, youtube videos, and tutorials on how to cast blanks. The rest you need to figure out for yourself.

JohnU

I would guess there are many here that have secrets. Whether its casting, a product we make or our own little touch that makes it different from the rest. You have to keep in mind some have LOTS of time involved with coming up with a process that works for them, not to mention it may be a primary source of income. There are so many techniques that alter the end results when it comes to casting. Most of us have learned by trial and error, and are still learning new tricks. The end results are a matter of being consistent once you find a process you like. Don't give up and who knows, you might come out with something totally new that the rest of us aspire to create.

lhowell

Casting opens up a whole new realm of opportunity from the penturner. I myself am new to casting and through videos, people on here being kind enough to share SOME not ALL of their secrets, and A LOT of trial and error I have started to have some success. I bet I've wasted at least two sets of 32oz bottle of A and B Alumilite, countless pen tubes, sheets of labels, dyes, pigments, powders, etc finding different methods that work. Some people have shared their secrets and others have given me the cold shoulder when I have inquired about a specific process. It just makes me try harder to figure out how they did it (that's how I figured out the Abalone strip casting process).

My advice is to scour the library here as well as Youtube and go from there. Remember that the only thing you are limited by with Alumilite is that it hates water and water-based items. Other than that don't be afraid to try dyes, powders, pigments, materials, etc.

There is a guy I follow on Instagram (NVWoodwerks) who has a really good website dedicated to new casters and features a live casting show every week called Dunkin Junk where he takes viewer requests and casts various objects from seashells, to weed trimmer string, to dog food and the attempts to turn something out of them. Some are success and some aren't.

So be prepared to shell out some cash, waste a lot of material, rejoice in successes, and learn from failures! Happy casting!

Hawkeye53

Well Brooks, apparently I hit a nerve when I asked you about Lava Blanks. You and I obviously look at this differently. Da Vinci could coach you and me though every step of the Mona Lisa and we still would only be a fair imitation. I don't think anyone is trying to take over your business of making of Lava Blanks. There just seemed to be a few people that would like to know how so we could add that to the skill set. I was one of them. Apparently we'll all move along and find something else to try.

Last edited:

Hawkeye53

Yea, John and Ihowell, it just struck me as so inconsistent with the way everyone else is on this board. But, hey, no one has to give their stuff away. I get it.

I've spent a lifetime in music and the arts. The vast majority of people there keep the gold to themselves. However, the ones that share the gold, seem to receive diamonds in return. I don't have gold or diamonds, but I share what I have. And, I enjoy every minute!

Brooks803

Well Brooks, apparently I hit a nerve when I asked you about Lava Blanks. You and I obviously look at this differently. Da Vinci could coach you and me though every step of the Mona Lisa and we still would only be a fair imitation. I don't think anyone is trying to take over your business of making of Lava Blanks. There just seemed to be a few people that would like to know how so we could add that to the skill set. I was one of them. Apparently we'll all move along and find something else to try.

You're absolutely correct. You did hit a nerve. To comment about someone's hard work and dedication to something and then say "but I just want mine without the hassle" rubs me the wrong way big time. It's the primary reason why I avoid IAP these days. Everyone wants it now and never wants to put in the effort. I don't make the Lava blanks, but you're mistaken if you think no one would try and take over that business. Eugene is probably the most successful home blank maker there has ever been.

Oh, and I wouldn't ask Da Vinci on how to paint the Mona Lisa. I'd ask to become his apprentice so I could create my own. So yeah, we look at things differently. I'm in it to do my own thing, not imitate.

You asked for a hint: For Alumilite mix equal parts A & B by weight. Add pigment and pour in a mold. Best if done under pressure of 40psi.

Last edited:

budnder

I took a crack at something like these blanks a few months back:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/sedona-experimental-blank-139617/

I'm not saying it's as good or quite the same as the Lava Explosion, but this is where I got to on my second trial batch. The process wasn't that complicated - mix up four colors in cups, combine them without to much mixing to get down to two different cups of two colors each, then pour them into a PVC tube with a bit of swirling. I think I learned most of this watching all the youtube videos out there.

If I learned anything, it was "all about the mixing of colors together" - you want some, but not too much. Also the speed of pour has an impact - dribbling vs. dumping all at once. I was doing vertical pours into a tube, and that's a different impact as well.

From what I experienced, there's alot of touch and feel to the process that would be very difficult to describe in a repeatable way.

The one thing I wanted to try next (haven't gotten around to it) was to use a bigger blank. I felt like on a little .75" tube the pour was hitting the side and that was limiting the kind of splash/swirl... so I want to do a 1.5" square x 5" tall blank and then cut it into four.

Hawkeye53

I don't mind a bit sharing what I've found, so here goes. I've limed my experiments to Alumilite Clear (regular) in a 4/6 mold. Best success so far is with three colors. One light, one medium, one dark. The hardest thing is to hold the colors to themselves and not encourage blending. I pour the base/dominant color into the mold. The remaining colors I pour into a food syringe (one for each color). Then, as the base color starts to heat (around the 5 minute mark) I inject the colors into the mold. I visualize the mold cut into 4's or 5's and inject into the center. Lift, inject. Lift inject. You only need the interesting swirls at the center, so what happens on the edges is irrelevant. This process is fraught with issues. If it's a hot day, you have less time. A cold day, you're injecting to early. There has to be a way to assure more duplicability. Some have opined that Alumilite ribbons might be the Special Sauce. I'll admit to it eliciting interesting results, but not close to the swirls I was looking for. I'm the next month I'm going to try Alumilite White (waaay less time to inject) and Alumilite Clear (slow) should give much more time to inject and play. Last thought...by using a clear mold (made out of clear plastic available on Amazon and elsewhere) and pouring/injection gives on a light box (intensity light from behind), I'm told that pour is much more visible. Sure won't help with making corrections, but absolutely will help with positioning.

BSea

You're absolutely correct. You did hit a nerve. To comment about someone's hard work and dedication to something and then say "but I just want mine without the hassle" rubs me the wrong way big time. It's the primary reason why I avoid IAP these days. Everyone wants it now and never wants to put in the effort. I don't make the Lava blanks, but you're mistaken if you think no one would try and take over that business. Eugene is probably the most successful home blank maker there has ever been.

Oh, and I wouldn't ask Da Vinci on how to paint the Mona Lisa. I'd ask to become his apprentice so I could create my own. So yeah, we look at things differently. I'm in it to do my own thing, not imitate.
There are many people here that are more than willing to help people learn to cast. Jonathan Brooks is one of them. He's not as active here as he used to be, but once he was known as THE person to contact is you wanted something special. I have no idea how many people he's helped. But I do know I'm one of them, and I count him as a friend beyond IAP even though we've never met in person. Over the years I've know him, we've probably talked about casting for days if you add up all the phone calls.

But I don't ask him how he specifically how he does something. Instead, I tell him what I'm trying to do. He'll give me suggestions, but not a "How To" guide.

I have met Eugene at SWAT last year, and we talked a little about pouring blanks. If I remember right, he told me he pours about 20 gallons of Alumilite a month. On a busy month, I pour 2. I do have some of my own secrets, and I've come close to something similar to his color explosion blanks as far as the swirls. It was purely by accident as I was trying to do something else.

So my suggestion is to start experimenting. Who knows, you may come up with the next best selling blank.

Brooks803

There are many people here that are more than willing to help people learn to cast. Jonathan Brooks is one of them. He's not as active here as he used to be, but once he was known as THE person to contact is you wanted something special. I have no idea how many people he's helped. But I do know I'm one of them, and I count him as a friend beyond IAP even though we've never met in person. Over the years I've know him, we've probably talked about casting for days if you add up all the phone calls.

But I don't ask him how he specifically how he does something. Instead, I tell him what I'm trying to do. He'll give me suggestions, but not a "How To" guide.

I have met Eugene at SWAT last year, and we talked a little about pouring blanks. If I remember right, he told me he pours about 20 gallons of Alumilite a month. On a busy month, I pour 2. I do have some of my own secrets, and I've come close to something similar to his color explosion blanks as far as the swirls. It was purely by accident as I was trying to do something else.

So my suggestion is to start experimenting. Who knows, you may come up with the next best selling blank.

Thanks Bob! I still teach and help others all the time. I've got a friend and fellow pen maker driving down from Iowa next week for a couple days of casting lessons.

lhowell

I didn't mean to come off as snobbish I just wanted to let you know that there will be a lot of trial and error and that there are tons of resources out there to help get you started. I haven't tried the injection method but makes sense. I typically use the Alumilite slow and have had success with up to five colors. Typically the speed in which you pour and the height above your mold from which you pour can affect it too. A very very light swirling after your pours can help distribute your colors but don't stir and don't be aggressive when swirling or else you will end up with a single bleh color. Check out Zack's website on his tips and techniques NV Woodwerks-Custom Alumilite turning blanks, and resin casting education here is a picture of my five color pour. It ended up being a bottle stopper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 234

Hawkeye53

I didn't mean to come off as snobbish I just wanted to let you know that there will be a lot of trial and error and that there are tons of resources out there to help get you started. I haven't tried the injection method but makes sense. I typically use the Alumilite slow and have had success with up to five colors. Typically the speed in which you pour and the height above your mold from which you pour can affect it too. A very very light swirling after your pours can help distribute your colors but don't stir and don't be aggressive when swirling or else you will end up with a single bleh color. Check out Zack's website on his tips and techniques NV Woodwerks-Custom Alumilite turning blanks, and resin casting education here is a picture of my five color pour. It ended up being a bottle stopper

Thanks very much! Thanks to all who have weighed in here with help. Yes, I'm a big fan of Zac's. Likely watched all his videos twice.

Did a pour last night that got me much closer. Waiting nervously past the 5 minute mark, 6 minute mark, kept testing consistency, when it was just sort of slushy I poured the colors and slightly swirled. I'll open the pot when I get home from work tonite.

This will likely be the last pour of the season for me. I don't like to pour in the house and it'll be too cold in the garage for comfort soon. Beside, I have an album to record and winter is the perfect time for that kind of inside stuff. Anyway, if this pour looks interesting, I'll post it. If it doesn't, well, i'll try again in spring.

Hawkeye53

I'll grab better pics, but this is off the corner slice. I quickly drilled and turned it last night so I could see the finished product. The center has better (more vivid) colors and better separation. What I love about casting is how the shavings all have different colors that never seem to match the finished product. For this one, the shavings were pink, and light blue. Almost Easter colors. The finished blank is more of a Halloween look. This finished off my Alumilite and there really wasn't enough to do the double pour that I wanted. However, I'm encouraged by this warm autumn weather, so I'll order another batch and see what kind of effects I can create.

Attachments

• IMG_3496.jpg
    IMG_3496.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 263

edicehouse

Please OP don't think I am bashing you or anyone that has asked about it, but if you get a tour of the Anheiser Busch plant, are they going to give you their formula? You can buy all the craft your beer at home you want, but you are not going to get Budweiser.

edicehouse

You asked for a hint: For Alumilite mix equal parts A & B by weight. Add pigment and pour in a mold. Best if done under pressure of 40psi.

I will be honest, Hawkeye, if most of the people had the money to invest, and had the consistant results of making blanks just like Johnathin or Eugene (lava), they would have a lot more competition. You can go through just about everything as far as blanks, when I first started seeing polymer clay, there was one person that had a style you could tell was theirs, and now I can find half a dozen people doing it the same as theirs. Watch part blanks, carbon fiber, stabilized worthless wood, corn cobb blanks (stabilized, dyed, etc), dyed and stabilized wood, bottle caps, decals and labels, so you mean to tell me no one is trying to steal business from each other?

Hawkeye53

Edicehouse, you're right, there are people that steal. But, in my experience it usually winds up being a poor imitation. I think you made the Budweiser reference and their formula. Honestly, even if they did give the receipe, we could all try and do it at home and we'd each wind up with our own version of Bud. It wouldn't be the same thing. Art is art. For me, I willingly tell all I can if someone asks about anything in my life. I never want people to have to blaze a trail that's already been blazed. Mentoring is fun and frankly, invaluable. It helps everyone. As a culture we all advance. You mentioned Polymere clay too I think. Without nameing names, there is an artist that is head's above everyone else. She's produced tutorials and will mentor individuals in every possible way. Still, no one is even a close second to her in artistry. Knowing technique is only a small part of the puzzle. Artistry takes years and even then it might not happen. No one has to share anything. But, I stand by my original thought...it's a shame. Maybe "unfortunate" would be a better word. Image if 10 people knew how to do the Lava thing and then from that they each figured out one new cool thing based on the Lava thing and shared back. Now we'd have ten new things to play with. After all, this is play. It's art. It's fun...or supposed to be.

Brian G

After all, this is play. It's art. It's fun...or supposed to be.

For many, yes. I'm not a maker of blanks for sale. The Lava Explosion blanks are for commercial sale for money and net gain as a business. I'm incredulous that anyone would expect Eugene (or any maker, for that matter) to spill the secrets of the process that they refined over time.

I haven't been in this hobby for very long, but I think the market is saturated with hobbyists that gleaned as much free information that they could from helpful progenitors, only to turn around and undercut with sales of their own. I get it; it's business. I think a reluctance to offer too much open help is justified.

Last edited:

KenV

"Share Shaming" that is implied in some of the posts in this type of thread leaves a very bad taste for me.

There are a lot of pirates and more than one or two have passed through this place.

mmayo

I do not make blanks, I buy and love lava explosion blanks. If Eugene makes them, many thanks for his skill and craftsmanship. I would never ask him for his secret. That said, I come here to learn and to share what I have done and learned.

If everyone kept everything a secret then what?

liljohn1368

I have a tip for anybody who wants it. Always write down what you do when you are mixing. That way you can go back and see what you did. I have been pouring several months now. I've learned a lot and have a lot more to learn. To me its all trial and era. Keep notes and learn from your mistakes...

Top Bottom