Lathes

• Full size 12" or smaller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full size 12" or larger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

I use a Nova DVRxp mostly for my pens but sometimes use my little Jet 1014 if I am buffing or my daughter wants to turn pens with me![^]

I vote for the DVR size!

stevers

Hey Lee,
Actually, I did get it to fit. Ended up switching the bearings and shaft into the old one. Worked pretty good. Gave me a new morse taper to work with. I use it on rare occasions for larger work. Table legs and the such. Just not accurate enough for pen work.

badger

I use a 50+ year old Shopsmith, a 10-ER, one of the last few models of this version to roll off the line. Runs like a champ, solid as hell. Plus it's a bit of an heirloom, since it belonged to my Father in Law's Father. He's very happy to see it being used again, and I give them turned items from time to time.

Originally posted by badger

I use a 50+ year old Shopsmith, a 10-ER, one of the last few models of this version to roll off the line. Runs like a champ, solid as hell. Plus it's a bit of an heirloom, since it belonged to my Father in Law's Father. He's very happy to see it being used again, and I give them turned items from time to time.

Me too, mine's a 10E, made in 1947 and still runs well. I like old tools, it suits me. Plus, with the horizontal boring capability, it makes a very versatile lathe.

alamocdc

I voted 12" or smaller, but I thought it more important to explain why. The first lathe I turned pens on was my 15" Craftsman and it did a great job. Everything on the lathe was sized such that turning small items is no problem. Turning larger items was also quite easy, so I actually believe the best starter lathe is a good mid-sized (not what is called a midi like my Delta). This includes all of the 12" lathes (remember, I said "good"), but some 15" or 16" may do just as well. I recently turned a pen on my PM 3520B... actually just part of a pen. This lathe is LARGE (yes, there are larger), and all of the accompanying periferals are equally large... banjo, tool rest, tail stock, etc. I had to have special shorter tool rests made for it so I could get the tool rest close enough to work with smaller stuff, but even a 4" tool rest bairly let me get the rest close enough to be able to turn. While many do so, these larger lathes are not really built to turn small items like pens and miniatures. Does this mean I'm sorry I bought the big lathe? Not at all. I turn as many large objects as I do pens and it does what it is intended to do very well. But for pens, I'll stick with my Delta Midi. In fact, I almost wish I hadn't sold the 15" Craftsman, but I just didn't have room in the shop for three lathes.

Rick_G

Using a Delta Midi that I bought last October. Had enough trouble convincing SWMBO to go with that one never mind a full sized one. Maybe if I sell enough pens she will ok the bigger one later. Married 41 years and happy we compromise on just about everything both ways.

Top Bottom