Lathe vibration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sestes

I just recently entered the world of turning and have been enjoying it. I am using a Harbor Freight 10"x18" mini-lathe (65345) and have loved it so far. Out of the box, it was smooth and aligned and ran great. I've made several pens and a couple of other things on it. In the last two days, I've started noticing vibration. It's not out of hand, but visibly noticable and annoying. I first suspected the belt, so I took it off and then observed. The motor housing shows no vibration and the drive shaft is running so smooth you can't tell its rotating. But when I feel the pulley, that's where the vibration is (this is with no belt connected). I'm wondering if the pulley is unbalanced or something, but I have three questions:
1) What is going on?
2) Why would it start happening all of a sudden (did I do something)?
3) Is there something I can do about it?

Thanks for your help with this.

Steve Estes

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sestes

Thanks for the feedback. Last night I removed the motor and everything and checked it. The set screw on the pulley was tight. It does seem that the vibration is coming from the motor itself. I also checked the fan to make sure it wasn't rubbing. It does seem a little better now that checked and reassembled and tightened everythingd but there is some residual vibration from the motor (and a little noise). Could that be an unbalanced pulley or probably just the motor itself?

ctubbs

Take hold of the motor shaft with the motor mounted and no belt on the pulley. Try to move the shaft from side to side. Do not be too gentle with it. No sideways movement good, sideways movement, even a little bit not so good. Then try to pull the shaft out of the motor and push it back into it. Again, no movement good, very little movement, well OK , as much as about 1/16" end play way bad. If you have a dial indicator available, check for run out of the shaft and pulley. Either one can cause this problem. If any of these are the problem, pack it back up and let it go back to its home at HF.
Charles

Last edited:
Top Bottom