Lathe trouble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

I have a Turncrafter Pro Midi lathe. I was using it today and completed one pen, no issues. While I was turning a second pen the lathe sounded slightly different and when I turned off the power to change the speed for finishing I noticed that the lathed stopped spinning very quickly and the head stock was warm to the touch.

Any advise on what is the cause of this and why it would happen so suddenly? I was trying to take the headstock apart a little to see if I could fix it, but I can't figure it out.

HELP
D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotti158

My headstock gets lukewarm after running awhile and always has. Loosen the belt and see if the motor turns freely, then check to see if the spindle turns smoothly and freely. If either of these is the trouble, you'll know quickly. Another possibility is some scraps of wood wedged between the pulley and the casting. Most likely, John is right.

Dvoigt

I bought it used, the guy I bought it from bought it from PSI.

I did determine that the motor works just fine and if I lossen some tension on the pulley, it just spins the pulley.

I tried to disassemble the head stock, but couldn't figure it out, and didn't want to take the chance to break anything... so I went out go cart racing for my birthday instead.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
From your description, it sounds like the spindle bearings to me. My first
thought from your first post was that it might be something as simple as the
belt being on two different pulley positions, since it happened so suddenly.
If the set screw for one of the pulleys is loose, it could 'walk' and cause this
mis-alignment. That would put more stress on the spindle and perhaps cause
it to slow or bind.
If the alignment looks correct, and the motor spins freely without the belt
attached, then check the spindle movement without the belt attached.
If that also moves freely then we're looking at belt alignment. If the spindle
binds then we're probably looking at the bearings. Could be fouled or dried
out. They can also bind if canted at an off angle somehow. (something
worked in behind one of them?)

The bearings should tap out easily with a rubber mallet and a wooden
dowel or something else fairly soft. Check for debris, check the bearings
manually for smooth movement. Spin them in both directions and you might
be able to tell if something worked it's way in there. I don't know if you can
lubricate those or not, as I'm not familiar with that model.
But bearings are usually in the $15-$20 range and easy enough to change.

It would surprise me to see bearings go bad so suddenly, but who knows?

Dvoigt

Ok, Seems like a bearing problem. I going to out and attempt to disassemble it again today. I can't seem to unscrew the hand wheel from the spindle. Where can you get these bearings from?

outfitter

Dvoight-

When you pop the bearings out report back here with the size is . It sounds like I may want to get a set ready for back up.

Dvoigt

I got the hand wheel off by turning it counter clockwise.... it took ALOT of force to get it loose though. So much that I put my wine stopper turning attachment on to grip tighter without damaging the threads. Once I got it wheel off everything turns smoothly now. I see no damage to the threads, wheel, or lathe, so I put it all back together!

But now my wine stopper attachment is stuck on the front and I can't gt it off! Which way does it need to turn again?! I tried everything and I can't get it to budge and I'm starting to mar up the spindle trying to hold it!

Solve one issue, create another!

Randy_

I got the hand wheel off by turning it counter clockwise.... it took ALOT of force to get it loose though.
Solve one issue, create another!

I'm thinking you mean clockwise?? Most lathes have a reverse thread on the handwheel end of the HS spindle so it would be clockwise to remove the HW.

As for your problem with the WS attachment, it will need to turn counter-clockwise........lefty loosy righty, tighty. You may have it jammed on the nose thread. Probably will need to use your tommy bar on the spindle and a strap wrench on the attachment. No strap wrench.......then wrap the attachment with several turns of duct tape, electrical tape or whatever you have and then use a pair of slip-joint pliers. Counter-clockwise this time!!:rolleyes:

P.S. There is an article in the IAP library on replacing bearings in a mini/midi lathe. I know, I wrote!!:wink:

Last edited:

skywizzard

Dvoight-

I also have a TurnerCraft. I had a similar experience. I found that the problem was the hand wheel. Although it seemed to be mounted solidly, with no play, after I completely removed it, then screwed it back on tightly and then tightened the hex screws everything is fine.

Dvoigt

yes clockwise.... my bad.

I'm going to go out there and give it a go again. I did try a strap and it just kept slipping... we'll see!

djpnevans

I have the same lathe the only problem I have is that the motor gets hot. I work with a lot of AC and DC motors small and large any where up to 555vdc and they don't get that hot.
David

Top Bottom