Lathe Speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Peter Mcc

Just trying out my new carbide pen pro chisel on some acrylic blanks, but getting chip out and getting tired of ruining these blanks, I have my speed set about 2000 rpm, is this too fast or too slow?

Cheers
Peter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I usually turn acrylics about 2500 RPM. Make sure your blanks are tight on the mandrel, or if between centers, the tail stock is snugged up so they don't spin loose (cause of some chip-out).

Lenny

I turn at close to my lathe's highest speed. (Maybe 80%) The cutter should be at the centerline. I use a piece of tape to mark the tool rest so it's easier to return to that height when changing back from the skew. Keep experimenting, you'll soon get nice ribbons!

plano_harry

I turn around 2400-2800. If the blank is square, you can round the edges on a sander or better -- rotate the cutting edge of your carbide about 45 degrees (like you would use a skew) I don't put it down flat until I am taking my final smoothing cut. If your tool is on the centerline, it is pretty hard to get a chip out with the tool in a skew position.

Harry

randyrls

Just trying out my new carbide pen pro chisel on some acrylic blanks, but getting chip out and getting tired of ruining these blanks, I have my speed set about 2000 rpm, is this too fast or too slow?

Cheers
Peter

Peter; I always knock off the corners of acrylic blanks on a drum sander before starting to turn. Also check out this link. You might want to read the entire thread.

Hope this helps.

Peter Mcc

Thanks for all the advice, seems to be working better for me, a bit more practice and tongue held just right I will try turning some of my more expensive blanks.

Cheers
Peter

Go slow! Don't make it a race. If you are pushing to improve your speed do that turning on throw away stuff. You can put away the chisel a little early. And sand the rest removing light chipping or tare out. But have fun.

Mordi

I use a roughing gouge until the blank is round - then I switch to a carbide cutter to shape. I currently have the speed set to 1800 and get no chip out. I am thinking of going up to the next speed (Jet Mini) to see what happens :eek:

Mordi

ashaw

I use the pen pro chisel only. The means taking a square blank and make it round. Speed at full speed 3300 rpm. I will take two heavy cuts then two three light cuts to the final diameter. Most blow outs are due to glue joints.

Top Bottom